What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync ipad to 2 pcs ?

Mrkool44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my desktop pc at home and laptop when travelling.
I want to be able to download videos/ files from my desktop at home and then, when im on the road,
I want to add more videos from my laptop to my ipad.
After syncing to my desktop.....When i connect my ipad to laptop...it says erase n sync to new pc ?* I do not want to erase anything, just add files.
Is this possible ?
iPad 3, iOS 5.1

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad forms a 1 to 1 relation ship with whatever iTunes library it syncs to on a computer. Moving the iPad between computers is a non-trivial task best left for times when you have little choice.

I recommend you either move the iPad to the laptop and leave it there, or download your movies directly to the iPad over wi-fi when traveling.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

Here is Apple's recommendations on how to transfer all your stuff to a new iPhone. With a few modifications it works very well for moving your iPad to a new computer. Wish I could find one as well written for the actual task.

iOS: How to back up your data and set up as a new device

Start by going into iTunes Preferences (before connecting the iPad) and turning off auto-sync. It is under the Devices tab. This will prevent any unwanted syncing before you are ready.

Do only the parts that apply to your information/situation (i.e.; if you are syncing contacts with Google, don't do the Personal Information Manager part. Stop when you get to the Restore step.

It would be wise, after the Transfer Purchases option to go through iTunes and make sure everything (media, app, book) got transferred. If not you may have a few more steps to insure all your stuff gets safely backed up on the computer.

NOTE: If you have picture albums in the Photos app, and they are not backed up somewhere other than the iPad, you need to save them first before doing anything else. The first sync will remove them. The PhotoSync app works well for this, and you can use it before starting any of the other procedures.

The quality of the pictures recovered this way will probably not match the originals. iTunes optimizes photos for viewing on the iPad when it syncs them.

OP
M

Mrkool44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should be more clear :

I dont want to sync to 2 pcs really, i just wanted to be able to occasionally connect ipad to my laptop to add a few files to ipad when travelling, i dont care to backup the whole ipad library to laptop also...just want to add a new video to ipad,for example.

So, any easy way for this ?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even if it is one file or a thousand files the answer that twerppoet provided is still the correct one.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no easy way to add new movie files to the stock iPad apps from a second computer. It involves a complete switch of computers. If the movies are being purchased via the iTunes store, then the options are already laid out. Sorry.

If the movies have been purchased outside the iTunes store then you could use a third party movie app like OPlayer. It plays more formats than iTunes, and has more methods of importing movies. You could do this with almost any computer without needing to use iTunes at all.

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are using a PC then I would recommend a program called iTools 2011 Beta. I have used it for about 6 months on my iPhone and also now use it on my iPad. You can transfer files without having to use iTunes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did forget the third party computer apps. I've never used one, so they tend to slip my mind.

Thanks for mentioning them.

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope that the program helps you out as it has been a very handy program for me as I also have 2 PCs and a laptop that I use to sync files to my apple products. Have yourself a great evening.

Most reactions

Latest posts