What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Restaurant Replaces Menus w/ iPads

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Global Mundo Tapas restaurant recently replaced its' menus with iPads. This allows customers to browse the entire virtual menu and see pictures of the food as well as get recommendations for complementary wine.

The iPad sends the order back to the kitchen and the back end database keeps track of stock as well so if something is sold out it automatically gets removed from the menu.

This is just the beginning. In the near future I can see the tablet devices replacing paper forms that are filled out in places municipal and doctor's offices.

Any thoughts?

Source w/ Video: Restaurant Replaces Menus with iPads

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The uses are endless, but eventually the new wears off and people will go with the most effective methods for tasks. If the iPad is more effective, then it will happen.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that it's more appropriate to casual or fast-food restaraunts. I don't want a fine dining experiance to be automated. That's why we tip waiters.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are always gimmicks. Like in the fifties, when you had telephones at each table to place an order.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microsoft was trying to implement this with Surface Computing where everything is built into the tables. The iPad is accomplishing the same objective at a much lower price point.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonder if they've included other apps as well? You know - things to do while you wait.

I don't think so the iPads would most likely be locked into the menu App only as anything else could cause problems.

It is like saying that they give you a choice of magazines to read after they take away your traditional menus.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So they let this restaurant buy enough iPads to accomodate / use as menu's? Weren't they limiting individual purchases to 2 and scholastic purchases to 10? I might be wrong but I remember reading this on this forum.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So they let this restaurant buy enough iPads to accomodate / use as menu's? Weren't they limiting individual purchases to 2 and scholastic purchases to 10? I might be wrong but I remember reading this on this forum.

They actually let a hospital purchase 100 of them. The 2 limit per person policy was in effect in the U.S. . We don't know what the policy is if any overseas. Besides this is great press for Apple.

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good grief.....I shudder to think what will the bill be if you accidentally spill your drink onto the "menu".

With a normal menu, you just wipe away and water and it's OK. But if water gets into the iPad.....well, they better find some way of skinning the iPad :D

Most reactions