What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching from on-screen keyboard to separate Apple keyboard

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an Apple keyboard/case for my iPad pro. How do I switch from the on-screen keyboard to the
separate Apple keyboard? Most of the time, when I minimize the on-screen keyboard, the cursor disappears so the separate keyboard won’t type.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A few third party keyboards have a keyboard key that will raise and dismiss the software keyboard. Apple’s own keyboards do not, The only way to get them to release the software keyboard is to disconnect. If it’s Bluetooth keyboard, that means turning it off, or disconnecting Bluetooth. For Apple’s smart keyboard you can fold back the keyboard so that it no longer props up the iPad, or remove it altogether.

Something I just noticed. If you use the emoji keyboard and a third party software keyboard it’s possible to keep the thrid party keyboard up, if you select it right after pulling up the emoji keyboard. Weird.

Use the world key to pull up the emoji keyboard, then tap it again and select the third party keyboard. The onscreen keyboard will go away as soon as you select a system keyboard.

It takes a bit of practice.

135144BD-B017-49CB-8146-24F713C4A296.jpeg

Hmm, maybe I should clean my keyboard.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey, Twerppoet, you have a new picture! Your smart keyboard is a crumb-catcher just like mine.

Something aint right here. I’ve had my smart keyboard for many months and used it all the time. Most of the time I could even use it while the on-screen keyboard was up. Now I can’t use it at all. It just isn’t working. I occasionally get a message saying “this accessory is not supported”. I wonder if it is referring to my keyboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes. I changed my avatar a few weeks ago, on a whim.

I get an accessory not supported error once in a while, when plugging in the charger; but it goes away as soon as I unlock the iPad.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say it isn't’ working, whether it’s just the keyboard, or the entire iPad is non-functional. If it’s just keyboard issues, you could try cleaning the contacts on the keyboard and iPad.

Other than that, maybe it’s time to let Apple take a look; if that’s an option in your area. I’m sure we’ve talked about your Apple support options in the past, but can’t remember what they were.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It’s my Apple Smart Keyboard that’s driving me nuts. Yesterday it just wasn’t working at all...like it wasn’t there. I tried disconnecting it and cleaning contacts, but that didn’t help. This morning I turned the iPad on and went directly to pages to try out the keyboard. It was working fine...even with the on-screen keyboard up.

So then I went to this forum to reply to your post. Pea-pickin’ separate keyboard didn’t work. So I thought maybe it was a problem with this website. Went back to Pages and the keyboard didn’t work. Came back to this website and the keyboard worked....I’m using it to type this.

Something is randomly turning the separate keyboard on and off. I’ve tried flexing the keyboard, wiggling the iPad/keyboard connector, switching to various apps and websites, pressing every key on the keyboard, etc. Right now it seems to be bullet proof.

Oops, it just quit again. I had to type the last two words above using the on-screen k......it just started working again.
Acts like the keyboard is making and losing contact with the iPad, but I am not jiggling the unit. I just tried bouncing the unit around a bit and it had no effect...keyboard is still working.

Got me stumped.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Could be just about anything. Intermittent problems are the hardest to fix. I can’t think of anything else to try.

Tas.quilter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly the “not so smart” keyboards are a dud! I have had trouble with mine for several years and Apple won”t replace it as the serial number on the base of the keyboard is unreadable! All of you who have these Apple smart keyboards on your iPads immediately write your serial number somewhere, on a scrap of paper or into a note file.
I am stuck with using the old one as an expensive stand as I won’t pay to buy a new one which also could break down!
Be warned!
It is a,known problem according to my local Mac shop.

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just checking in to see if any fix had been found for intermittent connections with the Apple keyboard. I see there isn’t.

Any suggestions for cleaning the connections?

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine is still driving me nuts. Happens to be working right now. I have found that wiggling the iPad around on the keyboard can sometimes cause it to work or fail, so it is apparently a connection problem. Cleaning the contacts or varying the pressure on them doesn’t seem to affect it. I really like my keyboard/stand and use it whenever it is working so I’d like to get this problem fixed. I’ve not yet contacted Apple support. Maybe I will give them a call. Too far to drive to an Apple store. Sure appreciate any suggestions on what to try.

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I didn’t have this keyboard, I’d be switching to an non-Apple product. I hate the thought of replacing it after 2 years and 2 months. Out of warranty time. It was quite a bit of money in $Canadian. I’m not anywhere near an Apple store either.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It’s amazing that Apple can design and produce great devices like iPads, iPhones, watches, etc, but can’t design a reliable electrical connection between the keyboard and iPad or come up with a fix for the crappy present one.

Larry cruzen

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, after carrying two non-Apple keyboard cases in my backpack, they went back to the store. I didn’t even bother testing them.

I now have another Apple keyboard. I travel lots with just carry on and can’t afford any extra weight.

Most reactions

Latest posts