What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching from app store back to Safari

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you know, we can click a link to the app store in Safari. How do I switch back to Safari from the app store. I don't see the usual 'done' button oar anything and I have to hit the home button, then reopen Safari.
Surely there's something I'm missing?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the_john said:
As you know, we can click a link to the app store in Safari. How do I switch back to Safari from the app store. I don't see the usual 'done' button oar anything and I have to hit the home button, then reopen Safari.
Surely there's something I'm missing?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

That's how I do it, I'm not aware of another method but always happy to learn.

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're running iOS 4.2 or 4.3 then you double tap the Home key and select Safari from among the background tasks. When the swapped out of Safari to go to the App Store, iOS remembered Safari's 'context' (state) and will return you to the exact same page - though it may have to reload it (memory issue - not a fault).

There's no way to return from within the App Store to Safari that I know of.

Tim
Scotland

OP
the_john

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to flip my immaturity switch to 'on' and say that's retarded and inconvenient.
Safari does remember the last page I was on, so that's good. But as of now, I find myself avoiding going to the app store via Safari.
I wonder if Apple would even address this issue?

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You might as well get used to it. Apps do not have quit buttons, or at least not most of them. The Home button is the normal way of exiting all apps. And you can hardly expect an app to go back to another program. Even computer programs don't do that.

You can get redirected to iTunes from a desktop browser too. I realize you usually have the browser on the same screen, so it's easy to just click on the browser window and continue, or quit iTunes and see the browser that was covered. But you don't get there by hitting a back button in iTunes.

The iPad is a mobile device. It doesn't run multiple apps in the same window. It has to switch. Double tapping the Home button to task switch is just something new to get used too. It isn't that painful.

BTW, my Droid X isn't much different. There is a hardware back button that will 'sometimes' back through apps. Then again, sometimes it doesn't. Very unpredictable, so it's easier to just hold down the Home button (kind of like double tapping Home on the iPad" and select from the most recent apps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts