What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprise, the biggest headache with the iPad in enterprise.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In an article today, there was a deal on how enterprises have learned to deal with the iPad. An estimated 7-8 million iPads are being used in commercial applications. Between Apple and app builders, most of the major issues have been resolved. One of the big items is security, but the iOS has been improved so much as to be compared favorably with RIM. Right now, they contend that the strongest security will be with Apple and the RIM PlayBook. They said that Android was always 18 months behind Apple and is not expected to catch up.

The main issue they said was going to be a problem for iPad users is not the iPad itself. It is the lack of adequate infrastructure to support it. The amount of wifi within enterprise, or the lack of adequate wifi, I should say. And the lack of enough 3G and 4G outside enterprises to support the rapid rate of iPad growth.

The iPhone started this issue, but the iPad has brought it to the crises point. In our homes, it is just a matter of updating the wifi server, but when you get a large business, it becomes a major headache. And the telephone networks are spending billions to expand and update their wireless capacity, and little is said about the fiberoptic demands they cannot keep up with. Nor the server farms needed. How long before this becomes a national crises? They declare the electrical grid a national crises years ago and nothing has been really done about it.

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... Not so easy...
I'm an investment banker and our IT guys have been trying for 5 months to finalise an app which creates a secured and encrypted partition within the iPad to allow us use work docs in compliance with FSA regulations... And all this with apple's support, given our size...

In beta testing now... Would love it too work, would make my life so much easier... Reading and marking up while flying around the world and being able to send back to the minions in the office to properly edit and finish up

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ingoiolo said:
Well... Not so easy...
I'm an investment banker and our IT guys have been trying for 5 months to finalise an app which creates a secured and encrypted partition within the iPad to allow us use work docs in compliance with FSA regulations... And all this with apple's support, given our size...

In beta testing now... Would love it too work, would make my life so much easier... Reading and marking up while flying around the world and being able to send back to the minions in the office to properly edit and finish up

What's it like to be you. I could only pray to be half as fortunate.

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
You were talking about being an investment banker, flying frequently having minions. I want to be that successful.

:)
It loses glamour and charm quite quickly

flttrainer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ingoiolo said:

As my wife says...the grass may be greener on the other side, but it still needs to be mowed.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking. However, we have uverse at home and we have fiber optic lines. I know from experiences that they take days to lay. I can't imagine the difficulty of implanting them in offices.

As far as a headaches. It was the sane issue when the cell hit home and teens started texting. One it pops. The fun don't stop.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ingoiolo said:

I'd rather be making truckloads of cash and not have to fly. I've never found business travel glamorous or exciting either - it's exhausting and you come back to the office with a backlog of things to catch up on.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spent much of my youth traveling, but when I started looking at it as a future, decided I wanted something permanent. My brother used to install computer electronic in asphalt plants around the world. It got so he developed fear of flying, and had to give it up. Now he makes better money working as a nurse in Cali. I still fly on rare occasions, but even when it is long distances, I prefer a relaxing drive.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
You were talking about being an investment banker, flying frequently having minions. I want to be that successful.

Can't agree more. Used to fly all the time all over the world, as an Eng support and taring for communication, You end up most of the time spending the all day in a cellשr, or server room. From that angle China and Florida looked the same.

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I spent much of my youth traveling, but when I started looking at it as a future, decided I wanted something permanent. My brother used to install computer electronic in asphalt plants around the world. It got so he developed fear of flying, and had to give it up. Now he makes better money working as a nurse in Cali. I still fly on rare occasions, but even when it is long distances, I prefer a relaxing drive.
+1
I love to fly, but I HATE airports and airliners. I used to take my motorcycle most of the time, but the company decided I was having too much fun and made a policy against it. In the past I've been paid mileage and expenses to ride from Oregon to Texas and Michigan. :)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spent much of my youth traveling, but when I started looking at it as a future, decided I wanted something permanent.

I've travelled a lot - including backpacking all over Europe - and that kind of first-hand immersion in another culture is a form of education you cannot get from books or classroom learning.

But leisure travel is very different from business travel, even with the company-paid expenses and business class flights and all. Business travel is very much a case of fly-in, do your meetings/do the job and then fly-out, with little or no time and energy left to do much else.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the big items is security, but the iOS has been improved so much as to be compared favorably with RIM. Right now, they contend that the strongest security will be with Apple and the RIM PlayBook.

Saying they have the strongest security is like bragging a sickly newborn has the strongest grip of all the sick babies - still pretty weak. It allows for in-app security, but there's still no way of completely locking out functions you don't want people in with the iPad. I'm in banking as well, as the iPad's nowhere near ready to work with confidential info, imo.

Most reactions

Latest posts