What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupidly Updated to 4.2.1, and Now Need Clarification

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I ran TinyUmbrella; but got something unexpected. Remember, I'm running iOS 3.2.2. It said it cannot save my SHSH for 3.2.2; and that I'm "too late". It says it did save SHSH for 4.2.1 and 4.2b3.(WTF??) What happened? I was not 'requesting' anything from Cydia yet it seems to think I was requesting the 3.2.2 SHSH from their server; which I was not. Is this an error because my iPad is definitely running 3.2.2 and I never requested a firmware update for it.:confused::confused:

Does iTunes need to be up and running before I open up TinyUmbrella.exe? If so, is that what I did wrong (not running iTunes)?

Last edited:

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, Apple stopped signing ECIDs for 3.2.2.
So you can no longer obtain your Signature HaSH (SHSH) for 3.2.2.

What this means is that, you can NEVER downgrade to 3.2.2 anymore, if you ever choose to update.

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why does Apple make their product non-downgradeable? What if I update to 4.2 and decide I hate the changes they made? What good does it do to have a "restore to original settings" button if they won't allow you to go back to it's original configuration??

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One reason is so that they can block old jailbreaks.

In case they make an OS version so secure that hackers couldn't find a vulnerability for years, anyone who upgrades loses the ability to jailbreak.

The restore is still there if your device's OS breaks, so that you can restore to the latest version. Sadly, it's not intended for undoing OS updates in case you disliked something.

Most reactions

Latest posts