What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

students changing passwords - please help

2bgr8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear all,

We have only recently got iPads in our school. There is still so much for us to learn!

Anyway - I wonder if someone can help. One of our delightful students created his/own password on one of the iPads this week - basically blocking it. We do not know who the culprit is (yet) but I am wondering what we can do to prevent this happening again.

I think that we just need to put in the wrong password 10 times and the iPad will be cleared - is that right?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Help section, because I think it might receive better attention there.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad will only be cleared [of all its data] if you've set that up initially when you put in the password. It's in the Settings part, in the same area where you set the password.

Since you do not know what the "delightful" student did when he or she set up the password - your safest bet is to hook the iPad back up to the computer it was originally set up with. Then, do a restore on it (iTunes will walk you through it).

Oh, one thing to remember: When you plug that particular iPad in, do NOT do a backup! That password will be stored on iTunes and then you'll be right back where you started. Hopefully, you have a "master" backup for all the iPads you can use.

So, if you do have a master backup file, after iTunes is finished reloading new firmware, it'll ask you whether you want to restore from new (which is a fresh-out-of-the-box state, no apps loaded) or restore from backup. Pick the backup and after it's done, you'll have an iPad that's just how it was before you handed it out.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

OP

2bgr8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI Marilyn,
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. We will give that a try. So annoying!

Have a good weekend!

Most reactions