What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong signal, no internet; restore

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As many seem to have experienced, at different locations (home since this weekend, and a government office), I get a very strong WiFi signal, but simply can't connect to the internet. One difference, at home, I still receive work email (via Mail native app) and notifications. Nothing at the government building. At both of those places, it used to work perfectly. iPad3 works everywhere else for now. All other hardware, perfect at those 2 locations mentioned above.

I've done everything, and reached a dead-end:
Reset iPad
Forget Network
Turn off (back on) Wifi Networking in Settings
Reset network settings
Restore iPad from backup
Restart router (when possible; e.g., home)

Last thing I want to try is restore the iPad to factory settings - just in case. Can I thereafter restore it again from my last backup - won't be lost when I restore to factory settings, right?

I'd like to wait until October to upgrade to whatever will be the new iPad. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. Ready to blow the damn thing up ...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After erasing everything, and setting back your device to factory settings, you'll be able to restore from a backup. The backup won't get lost. It's either saved to iCloud or iTunes, depending on where you made it.

OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After erasing everything, and setting back your device to factory settings, you'll be able to restore from a backup. The backup won't get lost. It's either saved to iCloud or iTunes, depending on where you made it.
J.A. Thanks a bunch. A bit down with this wifi situation that has lasted EIGHT months. And we want to you around with the iPad with the factory settings before restoring with backup. Just in case that might help with the wifi. Frustrating, strong signal.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The thing to hold in mind is that a signal only means that the iPad sees the wi-fi network. There are several other things that have to happen for you to actually get the Internet. These are usually automatic, but not always.

Most of them should've been fixed by the steps you've already outlined. I'm waiting for the results of your current test to see if it helps: before heading out into the Wild Wild West less likely solutions.

OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of them should've been fixed by the steps you've already outlined. I'm waiting for the results of your current test to see if it helps: before heading out into the Wild Wild West less likely solutions.

First, thanks for you reply. From some of your previous answers we've read in this Forum, you're pretty sharp mind when it comes to iPad. Here. we have pretty much given up for the issue at he government building.

At home. 2 steps left:
1. Restore the iPad - which I have done before for the public building before experiencing pretty similar issue at home this weekend. Maybe could fix the problem at home. Can't do it now since the "Find my iPad" is on, and can't turn it off without entering iCloud PW, which requires to be online it seems.
2. Buy iPad Air 2. Easy way out (and more expensive), but won't have to worry (fingers crossed!) about experiencing the same issue a third time. But would have LOVED to solve this out of curiosity. Pretty alone on this island though ... At both locations, this iPad had been working for a long time. Then, no more. Reali ... Technology bites!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to the wi-fi network settings, tap the (i) icon, and look at your DNS settings. These can be manually changed, by tapping on the field. Write down the current settings, just in case, then tap and change it to 8.8.8.8 (Google's open DNS server).

DNS problems with the router are one of the most common problems when connection is good, but the internet is not responding.

If this works, you can override your ISP's DNS settings in your router for a more efficient solution. The iPad normally pulls the DNS address from the router (which gets it from your ISP). Nothing you can do about the router at work, but the local override might work. You'd have to re-enter the DNS address every time the iPad forgets the network.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434338534.127948.jpg

Note: My DNS address is the same as my router's, because I've manually set my DNS address there; so that all my devices use this 'usually' more reliable server.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The thing to hold in mind is that a signal only means that the iPad sees the wi-fi network. There are several other things that have to happen for you to actually get the Internet. These are usually automatic, but not always

Amen to that! I teach at the local Senior Center which has a Captive Wifi network. Often the students think they are connected to the Internet because the wifi signal displays but until they actually log in to the network, they are not. This requires the network to redirect the outgoing signal and from time to time that doesn't work, causing much confusion.

Many hotels have a similar system resulting in similar issues!

Most reactions

Latest posts