What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange memory behaviour on my 1 year old ipad 2 (see screenshot) please help

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, i have been getting some odd memory low messages lately and the ipad is freezing up, when you close a folder a faint line of the folder is still there (occasionally) then it will freeze and i have to do a reset by holding the home button and power button.
I have never synced this to a pc so ive not got a back up and am still on ios 5.0.1.
Today i was flicking through my home screen and an app has appeared in the top left corner where it should not be (see screenshot) the app in the corner also opens up the tactalize app when i press it, so its a fully functioning button?. My ipad has never been jailbroken. I have around 3gb in free space left. What could be causing this?
I have not updated and am waiting until i get my new pc before i do, however ive not had any problems before and its only recently im getting messages for low memory and once had a message, i hit close on before reading it by mistake but it seemed to say the words critical error and memory and ive never seen it again since. Many apps are crashing often now and deleting stuff is not making a difference. I know all the usual how to reset and close your apps from the taskbar and usually close everything in the taskbar, but none of this is making a difference? Anyone have any suggestions? Typically the warranty ran out two weeks before this started. Has anyone experienced this before?

P.s i know i have alot of updates lol, but i have loads of apps and dont need to update them until im on wi-fi and not 3G, none of the apps that are crashing are related to needing an update, i just update the ones i use regularly.

Attachments

• image-149620517.jpg
    image-149620517.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,179

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly? I think you need to upgrade/restore the iPad. That iOS is o-l-d and that may very well be the cause of all your troubles. Putting the latest iOS on it will probably fix everything and make it run much better.

Barring that, have you tried the standard restart or reset process for the iPad? It may help...

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, i have been getting some odd memory low messages lately and the ipad is freezing up, when you close a folder a faint line of the folder is still there (occasionally) then it will freeze and i have to do a reset by holding the home button and power button.
I have never synced this to a pc so ive not got a back up and am still on ios 5.0.1.
Today i was flicking through my home screen and an app has appeared in the top left corner where it should not be (see screenshot) the app in the corner also opens up the tactalize app when i press it, so its a fully functioning button?. My ipad has never been jailbroken. I have around 3gb in free space left. What could be causing this?
I have not updated and am waiting until i get my new pc before i do, however ive not had any problems before and its only recently im getting messages for low memory and once had a message, i hit close on before reading it by mistake but it seemed to say the words critical error and memory and ive never seen it again since. Many apps are crashing often now and deleting stuff is not making a difference. I know all the usual how to reset and close your apps from the taskbar and usually close everything in the taskbar, but none of this is making a difference? Anyone have any suggestions? Typically the warranty ran out two weeks before this started. Has anyone experienced this before?

P.s i know i have alot of updates lol, but i have loads of apps and dont need to update them until im on wi-fi and not 3G, none of the apps that are crashing are related to needing an update, i just update the ones i use regularly.

Marilyn's suggestions are good and I'd quickly back up unless you're willing to risk losing what you have in case of a total crash.

All my iPads have been 64GB models and I got a similar warning about not having enough storage once and have since tried to leave 5GBs of buffer since, because iPad doesn't seem to reliably allow you to use storage to the hilt. I seem to remember reading something along those lines at one point, but didn't note it, because I have several 64GB devices on which I can juggle content, and I have two with SD card function.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn's suggestions are good and I'd quickly back up unless you're willing to risk losing what you have in case of a total crash.

All my iPads have been 64GB models and I got a similar warning about not having enough storage once and have since tried to leave 5GBs of buffer since, because iPad doesn't seem to reliably allow you to use storage to the hilt. I seem to remember reading something along those lines at one point, but didn't note it, because I have several 64GB devices on which I can juggle content, and I have two with SD card function.

I recall that with OSX you should always keep 10% free space as headroom on HD's. now, I don't know this for a fact but I assume that iPads storage capacity needs similar treatment.

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recall that with OSX you should always keep 10% free space as headroom on HD's. now, I don't know this for a fact but I assume that iPads storage capacity needs similar treatment.

The Archangel

That sounds about right, but I'm not an expert by any stretch. I've had no prob since leaving the 5GBs buffer, so if I see otherwise, I will adjust.

With any device for me, the data is more important than the device, which is why I back up everything I don't want to lose.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds about right, but I'm not an expert by any stretch. I've had no prob since leaving the 5GBs buffer, so if I see otherwise, I will adjust.

With any device for me, the data is more important than the device, which is why I back up everything I don't want to lose.

I can't agree more, back up, back up, back up, is the mantra that all computer owners should chant every morning and evening.

The Archangel

OP
therealriley

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would agree on backing up, im just looking to build a custom pc so i better pull my finger out and back it up asap. It just seemed odd how it worked for a year without updating and then suddenly it goes all weird on me. Never mind i like the idea of leaving 10% free space so il try that too. Ive got an app that monitors my memory usage too so i will just keep an eye on it for now. Thanks for your replies.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Archangel

On Windows it's 15%, on Linux it mostly depends on the underlying filesystem what works best but 10% is generally the norm there as well :)

All those assume a traditional hard drive though. SSDs can usually get by with less freespace.

On the two iPad's I've had 1GB seems to be the bare minimum where the builtin automatic temp files/cache cleanup won't be triggered regularly. I try to keep at least 4GB clear though or else some games I have like the My LIttle Pony game of my niece's will refuse to update due to lack of space to download and unpack the IPA.

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Besides updating the OS, you might think about downloading a memory-freeing app called Memory Pro or iClear Memory. The memory you need to clear may be the RAM memory, not the storage memory.
Just a thought.

Most reactions

Latest posts