What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing and accessing files?

banni1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just bought an iPad mini 2 and would like some help regarding the creation, storage and recovery of files. Can I create the equivalent of PC folders and files? For example, how would I go about creating separate areas for storing, say, gas, water and electricity bills. And how would I find files, especially if the files had been downloaded several months/years ago and I had forgotten their names? If the only place to store files is in the app in which they were create, do you lose those files if you delete the app?
Any help would be gratefully received. Nick Bannister

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tend to store long term items off line on a wifi accessible device. Then I access them using FileBrowser and hence can set up folders, etc. (which can be both on the iPad and/or remote.) Obviously I have to copy files from the apps to FileBrowser.

Instead of wifi, I could use dropbox or iCloud, but I prefer to have all under my control.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have just bought an iPad mini 2 and would like some help regarding the creation, storage and recovery of files. Can I create the equivalent of PC folders and files? ........

Hi Nick - you first need to understand that iOS is an 'app-centric' operating system and does not permit the creation of folders/subfolders like done on Windows or OS X, so you need to find alternate solutions.

For example, how would I go about creating separate areas for storing, say, gas, water and electricity bills........

Your best choice for the above is an app that will allow you to track your finances - I don't use one on the iPad, so check the App Store (search on 'finance' to see what is available). Another option is to use a spreadsheet, such as Apple's Numbers.

And how would I find files, especially if the files had been downloaded several months/years ago and I had forgotten their names?......

Well, if the files are w/i an app, then most have searching functions; also, a global searching feature called Spotlight Search might be of help.

If the only place to store files is in the app in which they were create, do you lose those files if you delete the app?...............

Depending on the app and the file, you may be able to 'share' w/ another app or store on another device - e.g. I have two Wi-Fi devices that allow storage of certain types of files, just depends. Other storage choices exist as already mentioned in the previous post.

Please think about these options from the two posts and ask some further questions and be much more specific about what you want to do - good luck. Dave :)

OP
B

banni1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to store long term items off line on a wifi accessible device. Then I access them using FileBrowser and hence can set up folders, etc. (which can be both on the iPad and/or remote.) Obviously I have to copy files from the apps to FileBrowser.

Instead of wifi, I could use dropbox or iCloud, but I prefer to have all under my control.

OP
B

banni1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for your speedy reply and and very helpful advice. Nick

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is iCloud Drive, which is almost like a file system, but not. It depends on each app to support the feature, and files still belong to a specific app. The only difference is that files can be accessed from apps that did not create or store them originally.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201104

The down side is that if you use iCloud Drive extensively you'll soon exceed your free 5 GB limit and be looking at paying for more iCloud storage space. Since many apps support direct DropBox access, it's the preferred service for many, and since it's been around longer it's more stable.

I use both, and a few other cloud services as well. Whatever fits that particular app or workflow best. Of course, that does make things a bit more complicated.

GadgetGirl01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy an Android device. It allows any combination of folders/ files you wish and are easily accessible. I would never have bought this iPad if I had known this in advance! Apple does not allow this. Darnedest thing I've ever seen!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Buy an Android device. It allows any combination of folders/ files you wish and are easily accessible. I would never have bought this iPad if I had known this in advance! Apple does not allow this. Darnedest thing I've ever seen!

Well, LOL! ;) You'll really not going to get much support for your suggestion on this forum - just curious since you have only several posts, but please explain what your needs may have been and why your iPad did not satisfy - would be much more helpful than saying 'buy an Android device' - Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple opted for a more secure method of handling files when designing the operating system for its iOS devices. By restricting file access to the app that it's downloaded to, in most cases, an infected file can cause far less damage to other systems on the device.

GadgetGirl01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not trying to start anything. Just an observation. I have android and apple devices and I know you can't do what the OP wants to do on an iPad. Some people want a tablet for file organization and storage for whatever their needs are.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts