What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stolen iPad Sends Picture of Possible Thieves to Owner Via iCloud

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
stolen_iPad_picture.JPG

Another really fascinating story appears in the UK’s Daily Mail today that once again shows that thieves’ ignorance about new technology may be catching them out. According to the report, software engineer Tom Clarke had his iPad stolen when he was Christmas shopping in Sussex in the UK on December 19. A little while after the iPad went missing, and after having sent a remote message to lock down the iPad so that the thieves would not be able to use it, Tom noticed that he was receiving some strange pictures on his iPhone via iCloud, which would appear to have been taken using the stolen iPad’s camera in the few hours prior to when the iPad was remote-locked. The series of photos, one of which is shown here were of a smirking man in a woolly hat and a dog. Other pictures of someone wheeling along two pink suitcases also appeared in the stream. Of course the man in the picture is not necessarily a thief, but he may well be able to solve the mystery of the missing iPad, so let’s hope someone recognizes him.

Source: iPad owner receives pictures of man taken on tablet camera 2 hours after it was stolen | Mail Online

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let's hope it's cleared up. iPads are so personal and I would hate to lose mine. I'm paranoid about it so it never sees the light of day without me keeping a close eye on it.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Cathal.Fergus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wouldn't the find my iPad app be able to tell him the exact location of the iPad?

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonder if they were stupid enough to geotag (if thats what its called) the image?

64GB 3G White iPad

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Ncaissie said:
Wonder if they were stupid enough to geotag (if thats what its called) the image?

64GB 3G White iPad

If geotagging is activated in the settings - it is not done individually when taking the photo...
Though I think I do not leave my iPad out of sight, it might be better to keep the Fotostream and geotag on... Unfortunately only WiFi is mine...

supercar33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I turn on security so that if my iPad is stolen they can not use it

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hpulmer said:
If geotagging is activated in the settings - it is not done individually when taking the photo...
Though I think I do not leave my iPad out of sight, it might be better to keep the Fotostream and geotag on... Unfortunately only WiFi is mine...

My iPhone and iPad 2 with 3G does automatically. Even when I'm on wifi it puts me at the local of the server from the ISP. Open your photos and click the places tab.

64GB 3G White iPad

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Ncaissie said:
My iPhone and iPad 2 with 3G does automatically. Even when I'm on wifi it puts me at the local of the server from the ISP. Open your photos and click the places tab.

64GB 3G White iPad

So does mine on wifi but if it should be stolen it will not send until back on wifi - and will not continuously be tracked, but only when on a wifi network...

Most reactions

Latest posts