What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stolen Ipad- find my iPhone

nuffz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

today i had my iPad stolen, unfortunately its turned off/dead battery. it has a lot of sensitive information on there. my question is if i wipe it through find my iPhone on iCloud once it has been wiped will they be able to use it? I don't want this horrible thief selling it or using it, many thanks in advance Nuffz

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

today i had my iPad stolen, unfortunately its turned off/dead battery. it has a lot of sensitive information on there. my question is if i wipe it through find my iPhone on iCloud once it has been wiped will they be able to use it? I don't want this horrible thief selling it or using it, many thanks in advance Nuffz
If you elect to erase your iPad through the Find My iPhone site in iCloud, it will be erased as soon as it's connected to the Internet. The thief will not be able to use the erased iPad because your Apple ID and password have to be entered before the iPad can be activated. There is no way to bypass this requirement. The thief may well try to sell it but but it won't be usable.

Have you reported the theft to the police? Also, report it to Apple as well, in case it's ever brought in for service. If the iPad is a WiFi plus Cellular model with an active data plan, contact your cellular provider to get it blacklisted.

OP
N

nuffz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wasn't sure if it would be disconnected from my iCloud account if i wiped it

OP
N

nuffz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No i wiped it, when you do that you no longer have the option to use the finder option. It was found when the thief was disturbed during another robbery the same night lucky i the wipe option lets you place a message on the screen once its turned on

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's wonderful news! Did Find My iPhone play any part in the recovery of your iPad?

No i wiped it, when you do that you no longer have the option to use the finder option. It was found when the thief was disturbed during another robbery the same night lucky i the wipe option lets you place a message on the screen once its turned on

Please clarify Scifan...'s question quoted @ the top, i.e. appears that you put a message on your stolen iPad via 'Find My iPhone' - assume that message had your contact information and that is why your iPad was returned to you by the police - correct? If so, then the feature played a part? Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
N

nuffz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please clarify Scifan...'s question quoted @ the top, i.e. appears that you put a message on your stolen iPad via 'Find My iPhone' - assume that message had you contact information and that is why your iPad was returned to you by the police - correct? If so, then the feature played a part? Dave :)
my apologises you are correct :)

Most reactions

Latest posts