What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stolen iPad 3, advise? Help?

sleepyheadkh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I had my ipad stolen from my backpack. The ipad had find my ipad on with icloud, but I'm pretty sure that the thief wiped it and restored it as new. I do have it's serial number registered in my apple supportprofile. My question is. If my ipad was wiped clean and restored, could I tell when someone re registers it with itunes with a new apple i.d. and credit card info since the ipad is still tied to my apple support profile via its serial number?

OP
S

sleepyheadkh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing is, the thief wiped the iPad. If he re registers with iTunes and another credit or debit card, will my apple support profile where I registered the s/n let me know?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
File a police report and include all the identifying information you have.

It is possible (though not likely) that the iPad can be identified if it is re-registered with Apple, or placed on a cellular data plan (if applicable). However neither of these entities are going to give you the info. It's too fraught with potential privacy violations. Only the police can request the info.

It is unlikely that filing the report will get your iPad back, but if the thief was smart enough to restore the iPad a police report is all the chance you've got.

Most reactions