What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still Undecided On Jailbreaking?

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problem. Also bear in mind with all those apps I listed above there IS a fix. You install the tweak called xCon and it stops them detecting the jailbreak and they should work as normal. The only exception is SkyGo (which is UK anyway, so you won't care about that). We are still waiting for a fix for that one.

Ya SEE!!! I didn't know there was a fix for those apps! I just learned something useful! It pays to ask! ;-)

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont have a definitive list of what providers check for JB devices, but these are the ones I know of (mostly from xCon):

AlwaysOnPC, Bloomberg Anywhere, Bright House, Cablevision, Cisco M-Learning, Cox iPad, DirecTV iPad, Flixster ,Golden Cinema, Good For Enterprise, Grimm’s Fairy Tale apps, Hanabank, KB starPlus, Maxis Movies, Samsungcard, SkyGo, Time Warner Cable, TV d’Orange, Verizon OnDemand/FlexView

Wow... this is useful information... could it be added as a sticky and be updated over time as more are discovered (forgive me if it's already conveniently available, I hadn't spotted it). It could help potential jail breakers in their should I / shouldn't I decision making process. And help people who've already jail broken in problem diagnosis.

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to jailbreak but I stopped it! I was very tired of the situation when a new firmware was out to wait until it was jail broken and then restoring everything back! Gettings more apps may sound more productive but it was actually less productive because every time I was upgrading firmware I was losing everything I had and I had to start over again! At the end of the say you don't need so much money to buy the apps you want! Also apps like appzapp help you find discounted or free apps, I bought most of the apps I wanted free or discounted with this tool!

Don't jailbreak!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

pcastricum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing the above posts did not mention is how jailbreaking your iPad will affect your AppleCare warranty issues. Can anyone "clear the air" on this topic? Everytime I read something about jailbreak I think of something similar in the BlackBerry community where replacing the vendor approved BlackBerry OS with a hybrid version voids your warranty. A response would greatly be appreciated and also clear up a lot of misconceptions.

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just like rooting an Android all you need to do is restore (factory reset)...with ipad I believe it's with iTunes (Android it's in recovery). There will be no trace of ever jailbreaking

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing the above posts did not mention is how jailbreaking your iPad will affect your AppleCare warranty issues. Can anyone "clear the air" on this topic? Everytime I read something about jailbreak I think of something similar in the BlackBerry community where replacing the vendor approved BlackBerry OS with a hybrid version voids your warranty. A response would greatly be appreciated and also clear up a lot of misconceptions.

Yes, if you are foolish enough to take a jailbroken device into an Apple Store or return it to Apple for Apple Care service they will likely refuse to look at it because it is jailbroken. Fortunately you can always easily restore an iPad using iTunes and this removes all traces of the jailbreak. Nobody in the store can ever tell that it was previously jailbroken. Therefore, by restoring you magically reinstate your warranty. Simple.
Also worth noting that the Genius Bar's normal response to any problem you present them with is, "have you tried a restore". Therefore, if you are looking for a replacement device it is always preferable to restore your device before you present it to them anyway!

I've had to return 3 devices over the last 4 years, all of which were previously jailbroken, and all of which were accepted at the Apple Store for service under warranty with a simple restore in iTunes before I set off to the store...

Hope that gives you some comfort.

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Witt ( iPad addict) has understated the negative affects that occur IMO. He is exactly correct though. You should go into a couple of jailbreak issue threads in a couple of related forums. The problems seem endless. I was jbroken for a few hours and reversed it. I am no expert an actually very unfamiliar with all that in general so having said that, IMO, cydia and all it's complicated warnings and pop ups etc. are prone to problems. My music became unavailable, white icons appear , these " congratulations, you won" advertisements flash constantly not to mention all the advertisements across the screen ... The iPad is a precise , constant that although limited by apple in regards to some of the many useless tweaks and themes cydia has to offer,it's much better left alone. Just my unseasoned opinion. I do however regard myself as an expert in spotting cheap , unwanted products. I restored device without issue and everything is fine but if I ever need apple for a warranty issue and get seen as a jb'er ,I will deserve it and ave learned my lesson. My ipad3 will stay pure and precise.
Keep your device running on pure Apple juice.
Cydia and co. Is like a bad B movie or the watches , cd's and handbags you see Nigerian nationals selling in TimeSquare.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Witt ( iPad addict) has understated the negative affects that occur IMO. He is exactly correct though. You should go into a couple of jailbreak issue threads in a couple of related forums. The problems seem endless. I was jbroken for a few hours and reversed it. I am no expert an actually very unfamiliar with all that in general so having said that, IMO, cydia and all it's complicated warnings and pop ups etc. are prone to problems. My music became unavailable, white icons appear , these " congratulations, you won" advertisements flash constantly not to mention all the advertisements across the screen ... The iPad is a precise , constant that although limited by apple in regards to some of the many useless tweaks and themes cydia has to offer,it's much better left alone. Just my unseasoned opinion. I do however regard myself as an expert in spotting cheap , unwanted products. I restored device without issue and everything is fine but if I ever need apple for a warranty issue and get seen as a jb'er ,I will deserve it and ave learned my lesson. My ipad3 will stay pure and precise.
Cydia and co. Is like a bad B movie or the watches , cd's and handbags you see Nigerian nationals selling in TimeSquare.

I'm not sure what rubbish you installed on your device to have advertisements appear all over the screen, but that's certainly not included in a standard jailbreak. If you mean the adverts that appear on app pages when you view them in Cydia, well welcome to the internet. Like many websites, the repositories which host apps and tweaks for free cover their significant server / bandwidth costs via advertising. These ads are actually nothing to do with Cydia. The repos decide what adverts, if any, to include with their apps descriptions.
It's sad that you had problems and didn't seek the right level of advice to help you out from the forums... You have formed an entirely negative position after an admitted few hours of experience. Still, at the end of the day, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

To contrast what your are saying about jailbreaking, read any one of our other sections in this site. By the same logic you apply to jailbreaking forums, you should also be saying that "the problems with the iPad are endless". Forums are primarily to help folks with problems they have. It should be no surprise that most threads mention problems... Jailbreaking is no different.

Jailbreaking isn't for everyone, particularly if you aren't willing to invest any time in understanding a new approach to things (e.g. Cydia, which is simply a graphical apt-get front end). Anyone proficient with Linux, Unix, or OSX would probably be right at home with that. Folks from a Windows only background have a little more of a learning curve, but that's true of the iPad itself.
We don't ram jailbreaking down anyones throat and demand they do it, but these sections of the site are dedicated to our passion, and we are here to help folks get the information they need to make an informed decision and fix their problems if they run into them.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score

LOL! This just made me laugh!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I'm not sure what rubbish you installed on your device to have advertisements appear all over the screen, but that's certainly not included in a standard jailbreak.

Exactly. Whatever he is saying has been blown way out of proportion. Any jailbreak released from the main dev teams will NEVER have any of the problems he outlined.
Ads? Definitely not.
White icons? Sounds like a tethered jailbreak.

I highly doubt all these issues happened to your ipad when you jailbroke. It is impossible.

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score

That is TOTAL rubbish. Have no idea what you loaded but you did not get it from Cydia. Get your story straight and we might believe you.

Most reactions

Latest posts