What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still trying to find answer for air print with IOS 8

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm hoping IOS 8.1 will solve our Air Print issue with an HP printer (amazingly enough on the HP forum rep didn't appear to understand the difference between wireless direct offered on my printer where you select the printer in your settings/wifi and Air print) but don't plan to DL immediately this time as I always have done in the past 4+ years. I haven't seen anything on these forums about issues with Air Print but there are plenty on the Apple Support Forums and am wondering if a lot of people don't print from IOS devices. In truth we don't use it too often but do need hard copies of things occasionally and Air Print and using Printer Pro was such an easy thing prior to IOS 8 for a number of years. So am curious if others are having Air Print issues and with what printers. It appears that Samsung issued a firmware upgrade to deal with it but no other print mfg seem to be doing this so if Apple doesn't fix, Air Print for a number of people just won't be possible.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a cheap Canon Pixma 3250 for $50 because it had Air Print. I have no wifi, no cable, nothing but my iPad Air with wifi - cellular from Verizon. To connect to my PC, I use the hotspot from my iPad . The 6GB/mo I signed up for, on a monthly basis is all I need.
What I always wanted to do is print directly from my iPad Air. Well, after a lot of frustration, I finally can do it.
I turned on my printer, then on the iPad, Settings/Personal Hotspot. Turn the HotSpot off for a few seconds, then on again. Your iPad Air will show at the top of your screen that you have 1 hotspot on.
Your printer will show up on your app from which you want to print.
I even printed an 8.5 x 11 picture in gorgeous colors!
But be forewarned, a combo set of ink tanks will cost as much as the printer.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My husband has an Epson XP-410 and I have an HP Deskjet 3050. Both are wireless, mine is set to connect to my MacBook Air. My husbands prints wirelessly, if that is the correct term.

I have updated my iPad, iPhone and my Mac to iOS 8 and Yosemite. I have tested my husband's wireless printer with both my iPad and my Mac with these updates and AM able to print. I am also able to print using my HP deskjet printer using Printer Pro on my iPad. Keep in mind that in order to print from my iPad to my printer, I have to have my printer cable connected to my Mac with both being turned on.

Bottomline...both printers have passed the test after updating all devices. :)

By the way, my HP received 2 updates on my Mac on October 4th and also the 17th.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"By the way, my HP received 2 updates on my Mac on October 4th and also the 17th."

Thanks for this--my printer says up to date and even if I check for it there is no update. The HP3511 may be too old for them to bother though I know a lot of them are out there. I can print with Wireless Direct rather than native Air Print so its just a bit more inconvenient. However I'm getting ready to install 8.1 right now so that might resolve it since it has to be a known problem with so many having Air Print issues (Apple Support Forums) snd many of us reporting the bug to Apple,

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HI Diane B--

Good luck with your update. I have just updated my iPad 2 to iOS 8.1 and just tested printing via Printer Pro App to my HP Deskjet. No problem connecting and printing a random document from "Pages."

Hope all works well for you.

Skimonkey ~

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iOS 8.1 device that wasn't working on a Brother printer. I did all of the normal stuff. Reboot everything, go through all setting that sort of stuff. Fired off an email to Bother. I went back and tried again and now it works. I don't know why. I guess it just needed some time to think about what it had done wrong.

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Be aware most printer manufactures are updating Roms on there printers and drivers on pc's and Mac's.
Is this something that a printer can do by itself? Fetch its own updates without my getting involved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts