What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Jobs Taking Shots at Competition

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to understand that basic statement is the fact the alot of people want to do something with the apple people have figure out it not good for the end product to have done to it ..

basically in laymen terms it the problem with jailbreaking it the whole thing now opens you up to security problems that they where trying not to have in the first place by keeping the system in a closed prostion to where outside applications have to go to apple first then get tested and then they are alllowed to be inside the apple product ..

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to understand that basic statement is the fact the alot of people want to do something with the apple people have figure out it not good for the end product to have done to it ..

basically in laymen terms it the problem with jailbreaking it the whole thing now opens you up to security problems that they where trying not to have in the first place by keeping the system in a closed prostion to where outside applications have to go to apple first then get tested and then they are alllowed to be inside the apple product ..

To a point I agree with you. Having a closed system is a very large part of what keeps Apple products "safe", although if you follow those in the industry that actually analyze such issues iOS and even OS X are much less safe than Apple would have you believe. There is the possibility that jailbreaking will open you up to security issues, but I have yet to see a single case of that being true. To the contrary, the JB community has shown the existing security flaws that already exist in the operating system despite Apple's claims. The "jailbreak.me" exploit is a perfect example. This jailbreak would not have been possible if not for a gaping security flaw much like those that MS gets raked over the coals for on a regular basis.

This is a fundamental difference between "open" and "closed" systems. The only real open system I can think of that has a wide following is Linux. Because the source is truly open, any person can examine the code to find security flaws. In the end, this makes for a stronger and more secure system. Those flaws were certainly not obvious to the Linux coders much in the same way that the flaws exploited by the JB community were either missed or ignored by the Apple software engineers. As an iOS user (and OS X to a degree) I still believe this is why Android will in the end be a more robust and secure platform. The code is open, you are welcome to take a shot at bringing it down. I remember when Linux / BSD was a "mess" too. Somehow it became good enough to fork into OS X. It will be interesting to see where this all ends up years from now.

As far as "not good" for the device, take a look at what the main reasons for JB were. Folders, multi tasking, more file compatibility, etc. Seems like Apple has started to include many of the most popular jailbreak features into iOS. I sometimes wonder if all of those things would be here today if not for the JB community.

Last edited:

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that is the biggest problem that people do not really understand the basic facts of there world of online security to basically trust something that has been a leaking sleve for years in the world of O.S system out there .. that is the program with andriod software right now it a leaking sleve as far as security system for the hardware for everyone can come in behind the people who did the software and add there own software to the software which the scarey part of the whole software.

people really need to get it into there heads the fact that someone is allways waiting in the wings to hurt you in the smallest way that they can to rip you off though some of the most basic things out there .. ..it might not be the milion dollar pay off them but it can be small and hurt you enough in the long run for you to take years trying to repair the damage that they did to you..

Last edited:

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But security has little to do with openness. Windows is a very proprietary platform, yet it has more security holes than than we can count.

The problem is badly designed software, which can be an issue with any OS.

My real issue is with people who claim iOS is the better platform for security because it is closed, then they tell you how to JB without pointing out the major security risks you open yourself too. It's a bit hypocritical is all.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
belive me i understand both sides of the coin when it comes to the socalled security issue of the O.S system that apple use in the iphone and the android O.S system..

my basic problem with android o.s. system the basic fact that there are to many outside the normal software companys out there that have not closed down there software application to outside sources piggy backing thing onto the orignal software program application ..

that what scares me the most about useing phone that use any form of android as a basic .o,s. system that the software makers have not closed down the socalled back doors into there system that they are useing ..and that leaves it open to the bad guys to come in and steal from you the customer of the software application that you bought to help you with your daily life ..

intill everyone gets on the same page and the same specs and some basic rules about the software ..i know at least with the apple o.s. system as long i do not jailbreak it safe to a point ..

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i work with people who design and install software system for security areas and leave it at that ..now with them they are allways telling the people who we install the system into there computer units ..the basic facts to follow when dealing with anytype of cell phone system that is never connected to your mainframe through the network in the office ..

make them do it at home and if you phones need to updated for what ever reason have a single laptop or desk that is not connected to the office mainframe system and load the software updates as they are need onto a disc and then load them into the phones from the computer

we are allways saying this statement someone or something in the background trying to breach your system so do not allow your people to update there phones system from anyone computers that are used for work for there is allways a chance someone has uploaded a program to worm it way into and though the system to see what data that they can steal or use againest you ..

AmandaY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is really an interesting and informative topic for me. I buy gadgets mainly for it's uses and I am not into the technical aspects. I have macbook, i phone and ipad, they don't give me too much. I am into basic functions. Thank you for this interesting topic. Anyway, Steve Jobs recently participated in an Apple earnings press conference. He talked about how well the stock is doing for Apple Inc., and sales numbers. He also spent the time to unleash on RIM (Blackberry) and Android platforms. He stated that Apple sells more of the iPhone than the competition, and that the software is generally much better. The forthcoming “Back to the Mac†Apple event is also on the Apple agenda for the near future That event will likely be about pending Mac computers from Apple.

Most reactions