What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

standard apple keyboard dock wont work with ios4???

Schmitty2364

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i bought my ipad back in like august or something and i bought the keyboard dock that stands it in portrait mode for i believe 30 bones... now i i dont even really ever use the thing to begin with but a couple of days ago i went to use it... low and behold it doesnt work now that i have upgraded to 4.2 .....

now the question is... is there a way around it?
is there a problem with mine?

or.... do you mean to tell me... that apple actually sucks that bad that their own products arent even compatible and they just freaking ripped me off??? i mean seriously i hope its not that, because that is freakin 100% unacceptable and i will punch steve jobs in the nuts

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should work. The iOS upgrade did not remove the keyboard dock support.

Try this first:

When things start acting a bit weird, it's a good idea to completely shut the iPad off and restart. You should probably do this at least once a week (my unsupported opinion on frequency.)

Just hold down the power button for about three seconds. You'll get a power off slider. Go ahead and slide it off. Wait until the iPad completely shuts down and then restart it by holding down the power button for about three seconds again.

For more serious problems, when shutting it off doesn't work, you can do a soft reset. Hold down the power and home key for about 10 seconds, or until the Apple logo appears. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

If that does not work call Apple Support. Chances are either you iPad or your dock are broken.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Apple keyboard dock and my iPad is iOS 4.2 (though it came with that OS revision when I purchased it) and it works just fine. So don't panic! twerppoet's suggestion fixes a whole load of iPad 'problems' so give that a try.

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Schmitty2364

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks guys im gonna try it in a little bit, i appreciate the help, sorry for sounding so crazy earlier lol, stress!

OP
S

Schmitty2364

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well i tried that , and it didnt work but im gonna give it another shot.. see the weird thing about this is that if i put the ipad on the dock and plug in the charger to it, the ipad does charge, i get the connect sound and the battery image amd it charges... but i cant type weird its like it just doesnt register that part of it

OP
S

Schmitty2364

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and i remeber it wouldnt work the second i updated to 4.2 and redsnowed it...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it's a jailbreak iPad? OK - not familiar with jailbreaking or the implications of this. Maybe twerppoet can help - he seems to know almost everything there is to know about the iPad I've discovered.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know very little about jailbreaking. I read the general announcements. My computer background and (very very (emphasis on very) slight) iOS programing experience gives me an idea of what might be possible, and what probably won't work.

That's about it. I'm not interested in just playing around with the iPad at this time, and nothing I want to use it for needs a jailbreak.

You'd be better off going to the support site of the jailbreak (I'm sure there is one) and asking there. Or one of our local jailbreak experts could chime in.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a docking keyboard and 4.2 and it works perfectly. You may have to go back to a plain iPad. I think you reset it completely at iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts