What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splashtop: Installation success anyone?

catsongs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't for the life of me get Splashtop iPad / Mac server working.

Splashtop forums useless and out of date. Attempts to e-mail Splashdot > You don't have access to this server messages.

Anyone had success getting this to work and/or know of decent install instructions?

Thanks!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
catsongs said:
Can't for the life of me get Splashtop iPad / Mac server working.

Splashtop forums useless and out of date. Attempts to e-mail Splashdot > You don't have access to this server messages.

Anyone had success getting this to work and/or know of decent install instructions?

Thanks!

Have you setup the port so that they are the same on both the pc and ipad and also setup the router to route traffic from that port to the pc?

I bleed in 6 colours

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Shouldn't be necessary.

Install the app on the iPad.

Install Splashtop Remote on the Mac, and start it if necessary. (make note of the IP addresse(s) it says it's appearing on, just in case)

Make sure both the Mac and iPad are on the same network. Start the app on the iPad. The iPad should see the computer. If not tap the + button at the top left and add the computer using the IP address noted earlier.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree with the poet - I have it working on a PC and have never had the slightest problem.

Install the PC app, install the iPad app, start the iPad app, it searches for my PC and finds it.

If you want remote access - i.e. from outside your local home network, then you need to (a) have the very latest update to the iPad app *and* the PC app (this only works on the PC at the moment :D ) and give both the iPad and the PC your gmail address (don't ask me why!) and that's it - no port forwarding, no IP address messing around, no reconfiguration of firewalls or anti-virus software - nothing, it just works!!

Tim

noradris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop only works on your local network

I wasted $2 on this program. After digging thru the help forum at Splash top the tech people finally admitted that you cannot access your mac via the G3 network or other people's Wi-Fi (only your own local network which your mac is using). There was some ridiculous beta work-around requiring access thru Gmail but this was a waste.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasted $2 on this program. After digging thru the help forum at Splash top the tech people finally admitted that you cannot access your mac via the G3 network or other people's Wi-Fi (only your own local network which your mac is using). There was some ridiculous beta work-around requiring access thru Gmail but this was a waste.

I have had no problem whatsoever accessing my PC using other people's WiFi or over the 3G network. The 'experimental feature' works just fine but you absolutely need the latest version of the PC app and - as they quite clearly state in the App Store - this is not yet available for the Mac, only the PC. If you want a refund, it's not a problem, just call the Apple Support line with your transaction reference number and they'll refund the cost of your purchase as a credit to your iTunes account.

Tim

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have had no problem whatsoever accessing my PC using other people's WiFi or over the 3G network. The 'experimental feature' works just fine but you absolutely need the latest version of the PC app and - as they quite clearly state in the App Store - this is not yet available for the Mac, only the PC. If you want a refund, it's not a problem, just call the Apple Support line with your transaction reference number and they'll refund the cost of your purchase as a credit to your iTunes account.

Tim

While I couldn't be bothered to hook Splashtop up to a Mac, can't you use it remotely with simple port forwarding on a router or what have you? Sure, I use gmail because I have a dynamic IP, but that *is* an option!

Most reactions