What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spilled a little water on my ipad 2 - help.

drycz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey.

Today I unfortunately managed to spill some water, bubbly water in fact, on my ipad 2. I wiped it off immediately, and I *think* I only got it on the glass screen. Nonetheless I'm panicking. :(

I didn't turn it off immediately like you are supposed to, because nothing seemed wrong. In fact, i had it on for probably an hour after, nothing out of the ordinary, so it doesnt seem like I've fried anything, but I couldnt get it out of my head and turned it off and put it in rice.

I've read lots of posts about people soaking their ipad, drying it in rice etc, but all of them seemed to have suffered some kind of error on the ipad first. As my ipad 2 seems perfectly fine, does this mean I've been lucky, or is there a chance it could be a delayed water damage? Does anyone have any experience with this?

My main question is: would the water damage effect be more or less instant, or could it suddenly come after a while? :confused:

Is the ipad 2 water resistant to any extent? I did not spill alot, but enough to get me concerned.

Veritas4420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did the water just spill on the screen? Or do you think the water could have gotten into the headphone jack or anything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

OP
D

drycz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it entered into the headphone jack or anything like that, I'm just worried that it might have "secretly" snuck it's way in under the screen or into the tiny speaker holes or somewhere I couldnt see.

Therefore I'm wondering how easily this happens, or if the ipad 2 is relatively closed off? I tried pressing the buttons to see if any water was pressed up to the sides etc, but nothing.

I'm really hoping all will be okay, and that it won't collapse in two weeks from now or something.

Phatboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It'll be fine. Usually if there's water damage, you'll notice something wrong pretty quickly.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree with Phatboy. Generally if something is going to go wrong in an iPad spill incident it will happen right away, hence the recommendation to shut it down as quickly as possible to avoid shorts, etc. The iPad has moisture sensors and will shut down if liquid gets inside. That nothing has happened to date is a very good indicator that nothing ever will.

The point where the glass screen meets the edge of the iPad is very tight (or should be) so the odds of any water entering that way are minimal. The area around the home button is a little more vulnerable, but still fairly water-proof and as drycz points out, real trouble can begin if the speaker or headphone jack area are immersed in liquid. If most of the water landed on the screen it's a safe bet that your iPad will be fine.

If it happens again it's best to quickly flip the iPad over and tap it on a hard surface to get the liquid off and avoid any leakage (the iPad is tough and won't be damaged by a few wraps on a table top, etc.). Shut it down and then, while still holding it upside down (above your head) observe where the liquid landed and if there's a chance of any entering the inside. If you think it did don't turn it back on and leave it to dry out. Some folks recommend putting it into a bowl of uncooked rice and leaving it there for 3 days or so to absorb any liquid. If it still won't boot up it's time to visit the Apple store or contact Apple support. They will often repair or replace a unit even though it's not part of the standard warranty. FWIW SquareTrade does offer extended warranties for those sorts of things.

OP
D

drycz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, thank you so much for the reassurance and quick answers! :)

OP
D

drycz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I left the ipad in a bowl of rice overnight just to be certain. I've used it for almost two days now, and can't see anything wrong - thankfully! :)

ipadfreaks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ran into a couple situations with my iPad and h2o. I went and got an iLoc iPad Case for just a couple bucks and put my iPad in it to protect it when near water. Picked it up at www.ilocstore.com. Have even seen it on ebay and amazon.

mmr636

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not so luck. Wine was spilled into my purse and the ipad was in there. It took a while before I realized what happened. The ipad was on. The screen looked faded but touch feature worked. I left it to dry overnight (no rice) and this morning it looks like an xray of the screen and it is flickering. so turned it off. Obviously I need to take it to an apple store but I am out of town with a bunch of people and not able to move around on my own schedule. NOW WHAT??

Most reactions

Latest posts