What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 had an accident with red wine!

Elinberlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something awful happened to my iPad 2 yesterday evening. It was in my bag (iPAd inside a zipped padded case), with some books, and unfortunately a large bottle of wine. The strap suddenly broke on my bag, so it went crashing to the ground (a tiled floor), and the bottle of wine broke inside my bag, therefore flooding it at the same time!

In my panic, I fished the iPad out. The padded case meant that it was not completely immersed in the liquid, and wine had only come in at one end of it. (Unfortunately, I pulled it out so quickly that I didn't notice which end of the iPad this actually was). At first the screen lit up when I removed its smart cover, and looked normal I think, but then it went black, with the apple in the middle. From then on I haven't been able to turn it on.

When I got home I read on the internet that if it's damaged by liquid then a good thing to do is put it in a bag with uncooked rice, or otherwise to just leave it for a few days to dry out. I've checked for the pink light that should apparently appear if water damaged, and can't see it. I've put it in a bag with rice though, just in case!!

Does this mean that it is probably damaged from the impact of the drop? And if so what do you suggest I do???

If damaged from a hard fall, is it best to just leave it for a few days, or get a professional to look at it as soon as possible!?!

Thanks for any advice! :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've heard Members say before that the iPad appears to have an impact detector which disables it for a period of time after an impact. I can't verify this - and it does seem 'suspicious' given that the iPad doesn't have any moving parts - such as a rotating hard disc - that could be damaged by an impact in the way a normal laptop might.

I suspect that putting it into a bag with rice for a couple of days is your best bet. Then take it out, charge it up completely. If it won't turn on as normal, try a reboot - hold the Power and Home buttons down for 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears. It will then reboot - that, too, takes a while.

If all else fails, I'd throw yourself at the mercy of a friendly Apple Store....they have known to be exceptionally generous when faced with accidental damage....

Tim

OP
E

Elinberlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for that advice. It's very much appreciated. I will keep it in the bag then for now and fingers crossed! :)

Many thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you read the threads on iPads with broken screens, you'll see that Apple have an unofficial, "We'll deny it if you ask us", completely unacknowledged, once-in-a-lifetime only, replace a broken iPad for free. Most shop front staff don't even know about the policy, so you might need to humbly and politely ask to see the Manager, be completely honest and keep your fingers crossed. If one Apple Store doesn't help, try another. You'll see that most all Members have found that an Apple Store will honour this replacement policy, even when the damage has nothing at all to do with Apple...

Tim

OP
E

Elinberlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the advice. I left it in the sealed bag with uncooked rice for three days, and took it out last night, charged it up, and very good news! It's now working again, and seems fine. I'm quite amazed that it managed to survive after going through all of that trauma! And am very happy my iPad is alive and healthy again, and of course that I didn't have the hassle of taking it to an Apple store in the end! :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news and thanks for letting us know.

I'll be careful now when I'm drinking red wine.

Have a great day.

Tim.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try that on a laptop chances are would not survive at all
I have recovered several devices over the years for my clients mainly iPods and phones

Was the wine a rare vintage. If so what a shame.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try that on a laptop chances are would not survive at all
I have recovered several devices over the years for my clients mainly iPods and phones

Was the wine a rare vintage. If so what a shame.

I would have sucked up the wine using a straw.....

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you that desperate, Tim! Interesting!

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts