What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorting Music in IOS 7

SamArmstrong99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morning all,

I wonder if anyone can help me? Since upgrading to IOS 7 an Album's individual tracks in Music are no longer in track order but appear to be completely random. This is fine for most albums but certain albums such as Les Miserables or Pink Floyds' The Wall need to be listened to in consecutive track order as they progressively tell a story, something which is completely lost if the tracks are randomised/shuffled.

Am I missing something blazingly obvious to everyone else or can the sort order no longer be set? Can anybody offer any advice?

As always, I have tried to see if I could find an already started thread but perhaps am searching the wrong criteria and found nothing and so apologise if this should've been posted elsewhere.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm unable to duplicate the problem, which could mean several things.

Can you provide more detailed information, like what mode (tab at the bottom), shuffle on/off, and what screen (perhaps a screen shot) you are using when this occurs. Even the album(s) affected, in case I also have one of them and use it for comparison.

If you have your albums synced with iTunes on a computer, take a look there as well and make sure the tracks are in order. Would not hurt to choose Get Info (right click for menu on album) and make sure all tracks are numbered accordingly.

I'm thinking there is nothing I can offer, except using iTunes on the computer to edit the track info, but won't know for sure until I'm able to duplicate what you are doing as closely as possible.

And, of course, the usual fixes; in case you have not already tried all of htem:

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
SamArmstrong99

SamArmstrong99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have, on your recommendation, rebooted/reset my iPad but the problem, as can be seen from the screen grab is still there. I tend to chose my music by Album and to the best of my knowledge do not have Shuffle on (not as easy to tell as it used to be!). I have found that the tracks still don't play in track order UNLESS I select an album, close Music and then re-open it at which point I have found that the album tracks re sync and play in the correct order .... Until you chose another album and have to repeat the process again. This 'fix' only seems to last until you move to another album, if you return to the original re-synched album it is once again out of order!!! It's doing my head in!!! Any suggestions? I accept it may be something blatantly obvious to others but it's confusing me! Just to throw another spanner in the works I have just noticed that when selected by Artist the Album tracks ARE in correct order but not when selected by Album.

Attachments

• image-599033558.jpg
    image-599033558.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
OP
SamArmstrong99

SamArmstrong99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorted!!!!

Spotted this .... and it works!!!!!!!

"A setting reset (Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings) cured all these issues for me. You'll have to re-enter your Apple ID and other passwords again, but it's worth it to have the Music app function correctly."

Big thanks to AndyL1966 on the Apple.discussions.com website ..... credit where credit is due! Actually credit too to Twerpoet who may have recommended this type of reset earlier but I was too thick to understand and possibly misinterpreted.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorted!!!! Spotted this .... and it works!!!!!!! "A setting reset (Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings) cured all these issues for me. You'll have to re-enter your Apple ID and other passwords again, but it's worth it to have the Music app function correctly." Big thanks to AndyL1966 on the Apple.discussions.com website ..... credit where credit is due! Actually credit too to Twerpoet who may have recommended this type of reset earlier but I was too thick to understand and possibly misinterpreted.

Actually the Reset All settings is usually on my list of usual fixes, but I left it off this time because it did not seem likely to help. That will teach me!

I'm glad you got it fixed. I had absolutely no idea what to suggest next.

Most reactions