What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something to watch for--heating up

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I put my original Apple cover on my new Ipad 3 to protect when I stuck it in my Rickshaw Ipad bag to protect it temporarily. I was only gone about an hour and a half but when I got home the back of the Ipad was so warm it was almost too uncomfortable to hold or sit in my lap---when I took it out of the cover. For anyone unfamiliar with that cover it is a rubbery substance and completely covers the Ipad, front and back.

I used the Ipad all evening uncovered and it stayed cool except for a very light warmth in lower right. I decided to put it in my Propup (which sadly is too large to hold it securely) and it too is made of a light plastic form that is rubbery. It totally enclosed the back of the Ipad and it heated up again. Perhaps this is why Apple didn't use a similar cover for Ipad two with its stronger processor which may have generated some heat if enclosed and used the front cover instead.

Sitting on my lap its cool as can be but I'm going to put it in a Targus Vuescape cover----but it will be open to the air when I'm using it I assume.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of he tear down reviewers mentioned that the heat is probably coming from the extra large battery that Apple is using to give us the 10 hour battery life. If you check for heat it should be coming from 1 of the corner areas of the back of the unit.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It probably will be with the new iPad having a much larger battery than the iPad 2. I also think I read or heard that it will take 2-3 hours longer to charge from empty to full than the iPad 2 due to the larger battery.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow, we have a lot of threads on this! Anyways what you are experiencing is a draining battery so that is why it started cooling off. The temperature in that corner or section is going to be notices and is going to vary depending on the amount of juice in the battery and whether or not the battery is being charged. But most people who have their iPad in a case will be unaware of the heat.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suspect with the old original Apple cover and the Propup they are so "rubbery" and don't allow any dissipation (is that the right word??) of heat that it builds up. I have mine sitting in the Propup right now (even though its too "tall" for the Ipad 1 but it allows me to sit and type hands free in my lap--and until my Targus cover comes next week) and I can feel it warming up against the cover. Last night I used it in the Apple cover in bed but had it set up so it was in typing angle but set on end and it didn't warm up. I think ite because there is air flow when its set at an angle which is what most people do when using the Ipad.

I'm not a bit concerned because I had read about it before mine came. I just won't use a more rubbery type cover on mine.

BTW, just love it--what a terrific upgrade from my Ipad One 64 GB wifi. I ordered the 64 GB but with Verizon 3G/4G this time since I ended up using my husband's mobile hot spot so much when traveling, Locally we have so much wifi everywhere I almost will never need it.

Last edited:
OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It probably will be with the new iPad having a much larger battery than the iPad 2. I also think I read or heard that it will take 2-3 hours longer to charge from empty to full than the iPad 2 due to the larger battery.

I found that to be true last night. Certainly worth it to have the speed, graphics we are fast getting used to LOL.

Most reactions

Latest posts