What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 case that works similarly to original Apple Case

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I actually like my original Ipad 1 cover since it covers front and back, gives me sloped surface to type when I'm not using my Propup, allows me to sit on long side for use with BTkeyboard but haven't been able to find something similar for Ipad 3/2. I also have a Dodo case for mine but never use it but could consider a case that allows for varied tilting. I like to use it like above when I'm in cafes, libraries,etc. I considered the Apple cover and finding a back that matches. Any experience for Ipad 2 with that combo?

I do carry it most of the time in a Rickshaw Ipad case or in my Tenba mini messenger camera bag with slot for Ipad so I want as thin a cover as possible.

Edit: I think I found one that works just about the same from the new Ipad 3 collection from Targus. http://www.targus.com/us/ipad/slimcase.aspx
but suspect I'll buy the next step up in the collection (Vuescape) after looking at them in action. More choices for tilt screen.

Last edited:

jimmyn15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Targus cases are always good but a little too pricey for me. Let me know how it is when you get it.:eek:

bbmarley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the chance to try the new OZAKI smart case for the new iPad -

I've been using previously a 3rd party smart case, from OZAKI. with the 3rd generation of iPad coming, since Apple is not proposing any new smart cover to go with, I've been looking at that case... similar to smart case but a lot more options as positioning... offer both landscape and portrait mode.
=> check their website ozakiverse.com
Colors and patterns look quite attractive...

They also propose 2 other products, iCoat Slim-Y and Slim-Y++ different options: leather skins, color charts and extra (Stylus).]

I got a sample sent to me for review last week ... I'll post the review later. Overall product is nice, colors are bright and the leather covers attractive. Couldn't make my mind as regards which one I should get at first...

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The original case was the best for me as well. I took a look at the Targus line and they have a " generic " feel (to me).

The smart cover that Apple sells is an invitation to damage the iPad. I once found a slim cover for the ipad2 that was a back cover and a smart cover in a one piece design. I will look for it and report back if I find it. It was at Target.

Cases are so personal and specify to each individual that it amazes me when more than two people in the same room agree.

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beyza Executive II is a high-end case that has the benefits of the Smart Cover, with rear protection. Highly rated. Not the cheapest case out there, but hardly the most expensive either. Cases.com confirms that it works for both the iPad 2 and the iPad 3. I got one via Amazon from a place in Germany for a decent price. It's on it's way to me now.

maleaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How much did you end up paying off amazon celly? I love how quickly they ship too -- I get things in literally a day, with standard shipping!

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How much did you end up paying off amazon celly? I love how quickly they ship too -- I get things in literally a day, with standard shipping!

I think it was $112, shipped from Germany (got charged $5.00 to ship from Germany to Canada). Cases.com has it for $128 (free ship in US I think). I've seen the case for a lot more than that. It sounds like a very high quality case. I'm stoked to get one, but an old favourite of mine for the iPad 2 (despite the propensity to develop cracks) is the Switcheasy Canvas 2012, redesigned for the iPad 3 just went on sale. I just ordered one in black. :D

I'm a case ho!

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too love my iPad 1 Apple Case. I'm going with the Targus Slim Case since that seems to be the closest match.

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up getting the Targus Slim Case. As expected, it is very similar to the original Apple case. Rather than sliding your iPad into the case, you place the iPad down and three corners of the case lightly latch on. This should allow for easier cleaning of the full surface of the screen, as opposed to the original case where you would have to slide the iPad out to do a thorough job. I think the Targus material will be better at not getting dirty like the original case. The keyboard and upright positions are very sturdy, although inserting the flap into the latch is a bit looser than on the original case. I picked up charcoal gray from a local BestBuy since Amazon has a 2-week wait on the black one. Now that I've seen it in person, I prefer the gray anyway.

So far it looks like the Targus Slim Case will be the perfect case for those that loved the original Apple case.

-Update-
I've noticed a problem with this case. The smart cover feature doesn't work reliably. I think they made the magnet too small, it only sometimes triggers a turn off. And if the case moves slightly it can easily turn the iPad back on. I had to disable the smart cover feature and manually turn on/off power like on my iPad 1.

I've read that the other new Targus cases are having the same problem.

Last edited:

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah the Targus is a fail with magnetic on/off. The Amazon reviews reflect that and it appears there was no internal testing or QC with respect to these cases. And it is designed specifically for the new iPad. They'll rightfully catch a lot of grief. I too turned off this feature but will probably keep the case because it is nice and slim yet more substantial than the apple 'case.'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

xGary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They said on Twitter that they are aware of the issue. There will probably be some refund or exchange program later on

Most reactions