What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Someone explain blob saving please

Trex8692

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First post!

Running ipad 2 wifi 16gb on ios 4.3.3 (jailbroken)
Wndows xp

-------------------
Frst off im posting this thread because im worried about the apple 4.3.4 update

I noticed alot of peopel talking about saving their SHSH blobs so they can downgrade their idevices to that saved blob, but im curious as to how it works?

I have tinyumbrella on my computer but im not exactly sure how the process goes. Ive heard im supposed to untick certain options such as "set hosts cydia" etc.

Since tinyumbrella saves the shsh blobs from my ipad for me automatically, where do the saved shsh's end up? And how do i reconnect to to them when i want to downgrade from 4.3.4 to 4.3.3 if i updated my ipad on accident? Will i wtill have all my apps and settings/configurations?

On a sidenote: why can i not download the ipsw file from ipadforums instead? Though i had trouble with it last time.

Thanks guys

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im not sure why people save blobs, but you can easily find this information if you use the search function. I never save my blobs. Im not going to upgrade my firmware unless im sure that thees a jailbreak available.

OP
T

Trex8692

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ya i saw that thread but im trying to ask a specific question. Stupid thign is that i couldnt remember it exactly.

It had somethign to do with exactly how tinyumbrella can make me downgrade to a lower ios version if its a separate application from itunes.

I saw a similar entry in the FAQ thread but it didnt explain it well enough for me.

I was hoping id get a more definite answer here.

OP
T

Trex8692

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks, its getting a little clearer i guess

One more question about the options in tinyumbrella How do i know which ones to tick and untick? I talking about the "set hosts to cydia" options.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trex8692 said:
Ok thanks, its getting a little clearer i guess

One more question about the options in tinyumbrella How do i know which ones to tick and untick? I talking about the "set hosts to cydia" options.

Untick both the Cydia options.

And regards your earlier posts, TU does not perform the upgrade. It just pretends to be the Apple Signing Servers for iTunes and responds with your saved blobs, rather than retrieving them from Apple. iTunes still does all the hard work regards the upgrade / downgrade. TU just sits in the middle. The benefit is it allows you to use saved blobs.

OP
T

Trex8692

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh i get it now.

One more question regrdingdowngrDing.

Say in the theoretical scenario that i accdentally upgraded to a nonjailbreakable firmware. If i wanted to downgrade and save all my settings/apps/tweaks, would tinyumbrellas SHSH saving service save all that stuff for me so that when i downgrade i can just "downgrade from backup" (if theres an option for that..)?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trex8692 said:
Oh i get it now.

One more question regrdingdowngrDing.

Say in the theoretical scenario that i accdentally upgraded to a nonjailbreakable firmware. If i wanted to downgrade and save all my settings/apps/tweaks, would tinyumbrellas SHSH saving service save all that stuff for me so that when i downgrade i can just "downgrade from backup" (if theres an option for that..)?

You backup Cydia stuff with xbackup or pkgbackup which you can find on Cydia. And yes they will save your settings/tweaks, your apps have to be transferred with iTunes.
Use pkgbackup, please read about it, it's straight forward.

OP
T

Trex8692

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grr if only they were free haha.

Atm i dont have many tweaks but when i do, i think ill probably get one of those services.

Tanks for the suggestons though

Most reactions

Latest posts