What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some update from Cydia totally destroyed the layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I performed a routine update from Cydia (by "routine" I mean I didn't check what was listed as "new", so it is my fault too) today. After the update, a reboot was required (i.e., not merely "restart springboard"). And now the layout is a mess in all aspects: The start screen has the PIN keyboard in its lower left corner. The icons are spread really widely with a lot of space between them (I guess the number of "desktops" doubled), the multitouch gestures don't seem to work, and all in all it's a mess.
Any speculations on what could be the reason for this, and how to fix it? I don't use any themes or addons for that matter.

Edit: The on-screen keyboard that pops up in text entry fields looks like it's from an iPhone...

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That affect you describe is because something you installed is not agreeing with your iPad or iOS (or both). Usually, it's from trying to install an iPhone tweak onto the iPad.

I don't know how to tell which one it is, either - especially since you didn't take note of which tweaks were updating. I know you can go into iFile (if you have it installed) and look at the File Attributes if each tweak to see if it was updated today/recently. The address in iFile is /var/stash/Applications...

Or, you could list your tweaks and we can see if (1) we recognize one that be the culprit or (2) see if someone else has had similar problems with one of your tweaks.

Otherwise, you are "reduced" to turning off Mobile Substrate (in SBSettings) and then, one by one, turning it back on for each tweak installed - seeing if you can find the culprit.

And, if that doesn't work, try deleting them all (from within Cydia) and starting over, one at a time until you load one that causes the behavior you describe.

Sorry for your troubles, but, hopefully, we can help sort it out.

Marilyn

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I somehow managed to fix it during the day (I don't know which action was crucial); however, in some of the reboots the mess was back (current session seems OK). The worst part was app icons scattered all over, as I had to arrange them manually afterwards (I had two folders and four apps in the bottom dock, which was (during the "crisis") reduced to 4 apps, whereas the apps from the two folders were literally scattered all over the "desktops", along with some of the apps from other folders (I'm guessing from those folders that have more than N icons in them)).

Anyway... Now that you mention, I do remember seeing the word "substrate" before choosing to upgrade. I have SBSettings installed (and all addons are turned on), Activator, and Zeppelin. My current speculation would be that it might have been caused by either Zeppelin (which replaced the "iPad" word in the upper left corner with an icon of my choice) or FakeCarrier (which replaces "iPad" with a string of your choice).
I uninstalled FakeCarrier, and left Zeppelin (maybe the two were clashing; I only need one, though) -- after this (1st) reboot, situation went back to normal. But after some other subsequent reboot, the mess was back; and now it's fine again.

BTW, I can't find Zeppelin in /var/stash/Applications (just /Library/Zeppelin).

So I suppose I leave it as-is now, be careful after the next reboot / turn off -- if it goes thru, fine; if it doesn't, I try turning off Mobile Substrate and check its addons one by one.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Next full shutdown, next switch on, and the mess was back... About SBSettings -- is there another (HD?) version of this app? Because mine seems to be the small/iPhone version (in the middle of the screen), so I'm a little suspicious that I have the wrong one...

Mobile Substrate Addons -- I have the following there (they were all set to ON):

-Activator: If I don't use or need any special gestures, do I need this ON? Or does it have to be included in order to be able to invoke the settings (wifi, ssh, dock, brightness...) from the status bar at all?
-AppList: What does this do?
-AppSync: What does this do?
-BrowserChooser: I had an app/enhancement by this name installed way before installing SBSettings. Does this one refer to that same thing, or could it be that I have it doubled now (the same dilemma applies to NotiPad and UAFaker)?
-NotiPad: Same as BrowserChooser, had this installed before. Same thing?
-PreferenceLoader: Not sure if this is the settings from the status bar?
-UAFaker: Same as BrowserChooser and NotiPad, had it before.
-WeeLoader: I have no idea what this does.
-Zeppelin: The neat icon instead of the "iPad"/carrier name. I love it, hope it isn't the root of all evil in this case. :)
-libhide: No idea what this is for.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what to do to get your iPad in good working order:

Remove the piracy enabling tools!

This forum does not condone piracy or help those that commit piracy (read: steal). Not only is piracy, and any discussion thereof, against this forum's rules - it's theft and thus illegal.

Remove the piracy hacks from your iPad and I guarantee your iPad will run much, much better.

You'll receive no more assistance from the forum on this matter. This thread is closed.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions