What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some iPhone and iPad Users Say iOS 7.1 is Considerably Draining Battery Life

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ios-7.1-battery-drain-620x480.png

Apple has recently released iOS 7.1 for download and it brought UI changes, CarPlay, Touch ID improvements and also made the software snappier on the iPhone 4. However, not everybody is happy, as several reports on Twitter and Apple’s support discussion forums say that users are seeing significant drain on their batteries after installing the latest iOS version.

I have updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 7.1, ever since I have been experiencing battery drain of about 1% every 10 mins. Is anyone else facing the same issue?

I installed iOS 7.1 yesterday and now my battery on my iPhone 5S is dropping rappidly. I charged it last night and unplugged it before work. On the 30min commute it went from 100% down to 97% with no use from me. What gives?

The problem seems to be affecting some iPad models, as Ars Technica publication has discovered that battery life was in nearly all cases slightly lower in iOS 7.1 than in iOS 7.0.6. Some iPhone 4S users have been complaining about another issue, apparently related to a broken Wi-Fi connectivity. Have you experienced any similar problems after installing iOS 7.1?

Source: iPhoneForums

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My battery life hasn't decreased at all. Perhaps those people reporting a decreased battery life are experiencing it because 7.1 is still "new" and they're playing with their devices more often?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My battery life hasn't decreased at all. Perhaps those people reporting a decreased battery life are experiencing it because 7.1 is still "new" and they're playing with their devices more often?

That's a good theory. Honestly, the battery usage thing has always been a sticky issue. No matter what, anytime there is an OS update you get half the users saying the battery is better and the other half claiming it's worse. Good luck sorting that out! :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Every new IOS update brings a group of users who have decreased battery life. Every little apparent change in battery life gets someone in an apple forum with a complaint. The problem is, most of these folks are not being objective in measuring battery life, so reporting what they think they notice. But any device with an antenna will see dynamic battery life hits due to changing channel characteristics that occur do the changing conditions. Hence, device characteristics change, meaning battery life can take a hit, from time to time. It's not always going to be the same. Then when an update comes, this effect gets noticed more because people was trying to pay more attention to battery life without any real reliable way to measure battery life.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Every new IOS update brings a group of users who have decreased battery life. Every little apparent change in battery life gets someone in an apple forum with a complaint. The problem is, most of these folks are not being objective in measuring battery life, so reporting what they think they notice. But any device with an antenna will see dynamic battery life hits due to changing channel characteristics that occur do the changing conditions. Hence, device characteristics change, meaning battery life can take a hit, from time to time. It's not always going to be the same. Then when an update comes, this effect gets noticed more because people was trying to pay more attention to battery life without any real reliable way to measure battery life.

Or maybe people forgot that bluetooth is turned on every time a new update comes out. Maybe even more toggles that drain battery life.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Much of media reporting is subjective. My view is that push technology is the key issue. Every advertisement link ... every notification ... every search for location is demanding processor action, thus more use of battery power. Bluetooth also demands energy. If you are not using it, turn it off. Everytime you up load to the cloud, or download, extra power is being demanded. The brighter your screen is the more power is being demanded. Also if you are just typing and are not involved with the internet (turn off wi-fi)

Realize that we all setup our devices differently, thus the reported differences. FWIW

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Retina iPad seems to be slow these days, not sure if it is due to the updates.

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Much of media reporting is subjective. My view is that push technology is the key issue. Every advertisement link ... every notification ... every search for location is demanding processor action, thus more use of battery power. Bluetooth also demands energy. If you are not using it, turn it off. Everytime you up load to the cloud, or download, extra power is being demanded. The brighter your screen is the more power is being demanded. Also if you are just typing and are not involved with the internet (turn off wi-fi)

Realize that we all setup our devices differently, thus the reported differences. FWIW

I agree.

riturajsharma19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even I find this strange. My iPad 4 seems to have gained some extra battery life after the update. There are other issues which have cropped up after the update, but battery life is certainly not one of them.

Most reactions