What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, who will dump the ipad3 to get a mini?

gkinghrn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greg G said:
I'm loosing some love for Apple as well. I hate the money grab this new lightning cable has turned into. I upgraded from iPhone 4 to 5 (skipped 4s) and have had every iPad model (hard to justify iPad 4 though). I have tons of accessories with 30pin connectors. It is EDITED FOR CRASS CONTENT (plunder) to charge $29 for a converter and yet they can't keep them on the shelves. They are making record profits and sticking it to their loyal customers. I think they need some competition in order to get more humble. Not sure it will happen though.

Edited by Adama
IPF Moderator

Couldn't agree more..... Apple just put a massive 2 fingers up to their customer base. They actually should have revealed the lightning connector months before these new devices came out ... But the world is full of Apple fanboys who think Apple can do no wrong and hence they can get away with it....

To the poster above who suggested I was saying everyone had 2 devices I was not .. But those of us lucky enough to have both will use them for whatever purposes we believe they are best suited to. A 10 inch tablet isn't something you can put in your pocket easily ... A 7inch one is easier and just more portable....

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Why do we have to ditch one idevice to get another....Why can't we have two idevices to compliment each other? :)

I do it all the time. I use the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2, whichever is most convenient at the time. My iPad 2 will not be retired if I ever buy a newer model. I have plenty of work for it to do.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I do it all the time. I use the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2, whichever is most convenient at the time. My iPad 2 will not be retired if I ever buy a newer model. I have plenty of work for it to do.

I love all my apple devices and use my iPod interchangeably with my iPad...especially when one is charging up. I am like you Kevin, I'll keep you all my things until it renders inoperable.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Using the iPhone as a mini iPad has shown me one thing. You use what you have to get the job done.

One of the great things about a real iPad mini is that it will use ALL of the iPad apps. Sometimes I get stuck because I don't have wifi, and I don't have the app on the phone. With the smaller device in my truck, tethered to the phone, I could have things a bit easier when, for example, I'm using the GPS capability of the iPad.

And being able to use one and charge another would also be useful. Hmmmm. I think I'm talking myself out of buying an iPad mini for my son. I might just get it for myself instead.

duane518

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really, really, tried to resist the mini. But I am weak and ordered the mini 64 gig wifi only. I will keep my ipad 3 to use at home, but will take the mini out and about.

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So at some point users will run out of Itunes liceses right. You only get 5 total right so.
1-Macbook, 2-Iphone, 3-Ipod, 4-Ipad, 5-Ipad Mini.
the problem is I have Itunes on my win7 machine so something has to go...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
zipur said:
So at some point users will run out of Itunes liceses right. You only get 5 total right so.
1-Macbook, 2-Iphone, 3-Ipod, 4-Ipad, 5-Ipad Mini.
the problem is I have Itunes on my win7 machine so something has to go...

I'm currently using iTunes on 7 devices and I haven't noticed anything about a 5 licence limit. I believe the limit of 5 you refer to is for iTunes authorized computers.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm currently using iTunes on 7 devices and I haven't noticed anything about a 5 licence limit. I believe the limit of 5 you refer to is for iTunes authorized computers.

How does that iTunes authorized computers work? Will it let you back up the same iPad to 5 different machines? If so, how does one set this up? Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
How does that iTunes authorized computers work? Will it let you back up the same iPad to 5 different machines? If so, how does one set this up? Thanks.

I presume you just keep authorizing more computers until you reach your limit. If you try authorizing one too many computers you'll get a notice from Apple.
I did some digging and found this. I haven't tried it yet but it should work for iPads as well as iPhones.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3090377?start=15&tstart=0

I also found this, which may be better.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1202

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

No. It does not allow that condition. Once an iOS device is sunk against a PC it is locked to that piece regardless of the iTunes being authorized. This is off the top of my head so you will want to double check, but I believe this is the current Apple policy for iTunes and iOS.

The iTunes Authorization system (5 PCs) is for play back of DRM controlled content only. IE music, videos and podcasts.

The iOS device limit of 10 is for registering those devices against the iTunes store for redownloading or buying new content that can be shared across those 10 devices.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. It does not allow that condition. Once an iOS device is sunk against a PC it is locked to that piece regardless of the iTunes being authorized. This is off the top of my head so you will want to double check, but I believe this is the current Apple policy for iTunes and iOS.

The iTunes Authorization system (5 PCs) is for play back of DRM controlled content only. IE music, videos and podcasts.

The iOS device limit of 10 is for registering those devices against the iTunes store for redownloading or buying new content that can be shared across those 10 devices.

Ok...I can accept this because it backs up my own experience. Thanks!

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reason you can't sync an iOS device against multiple PCs is because it is literally impossible to resolve all the conflicts that could/will exist. Been coding for 28 years professionally and even at my best I know I couldn't solve that issue.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I presume you just keep authorizing more computers until you reach your limit. If you try authorizing one too many computers you'll get a notice from Apple.
I did some digging and found this. I haven't tried it yet but it should work for iPads as well as iPhones.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3090377?start=15&tstart=0

I also found this, which may be better.
Using iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers

Well, I didn't see this before I replied. I guess this is related to what Skull said...I do so wish iTunes would go away...completely.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reason you can't sync an iOS device against multiple PCs is because it is literally impossible to resolve all the conflicts that could/will exist. Been coding for 28 years professionally and even at my best I know I couldn't solve that issue.

The way I envision it working would be for each computer to download all apps and purchases...then the music and photos and anything you might drag over would have to be done manually. Just have a rule that you can drag content from each machine to the iPad. Then the computer can just back stuff up. Of course, if you are syncing outlook contacts and mail, and other stuff, it becomes problematic, just as you say. I would be happy to have only one major "sync" PC and then several others that can just back up.

But, before all that, I'd rather just see it die. Syncing to a PC is old fashioned. Worst than having an optical drive, IMO.

Having said that, where is iTunes 11? Argh. We are running out of days in October.

Most reactions

Latest posts