What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So My iPad Died today

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad to watch TV shows, listen to podcast or check out the latest news and also browse the forums and today was no different.

That is until my iPad display kept turning off on me (I could see the backlight was still working). I tried numerous troubleshooting techniques like doing a soft with no luck. Got it home and it allowed me to backup my setting and apps (whats funny is it normally takes a few hours for it to backup but today it was less than 20 mins).

As a last resort I tried completely doing a data wipe and hard reset following by a restore and no luck so off to the Apple Store.

I get there and its a mad house. I mean I saw multiple families buy 2 iPad (sometime 2 ipads for each person) and I thought, wow they are making a killing for Father's day.

Since I did not have an appointment with a "Genius" at the Genius Bar I was put on a standby list but only ended up waiting 20 mins for my turn.

The rep tried the same troubleshooting techniques that I tried and eventually gave up and went to the back to see if they had one in stock.

She came back with a unit in a brown box fully charged (what's funny is on the side of the box it had a price of $299.99 in bright green). She tested it, had me initial and sign and I was on my way.

Now I'm home restoring my apps, podcast, tv shows and movies back to my iPad.

I'm glad it did not happen while on my vacation starting the 27th but I'm disappointed as I thought Apple products were better made. I treat my electronics very good (hell I pamper my iPad) and a little over a month of use I craps out.

iWags

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Similar thing happened to me. I was on a business trip last week so I was SOL for a couple of days. I head out of the country on the 30th...hope this new one doesn't conk out on me!

However, it was nice to go into the Apple Store and have great customer service. They took out the Brown Box for me too and handed me over a new one. Much better than having to send it out to get fixed. Or being put on the waiting list till a new one came in!

I wonder how many failures they are having. I have not seen that many being discussed here in the Forum.

Were you going through withdrawl when it wasnt working? I know I was!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never seen any electronics with the warranty and service attitude of Apple. It is worth a lot to me just for the luxury of how well they treat you.

OP
I

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Similar thing happened to me. I was on a business trip last week so I was SOL for a couple of days. I head out of the country on the 30th...hope this new one doesn't conk out on me!

However, it was nice to go into the Apple Store and have great customer service. They took out the Brown Box for me too and handed me over a new one. Much better than having to send it out to get fixed. Or being put on the waiting list till a new one came in!

I wonder how many failures they are having. I have not seen that many being discussed here in the Forum.

Were you going through withdrawl when it wasnt working? I know I was!

I was only for 6hrs, 32 mins, and 54 secs but who's counting.... Actually I was going through withdraw.:(

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...Got it home and it allowed me to backup my setting and apps (whats funny is it normally takes a few hours for it to backup but today it was less than 20 mins).

...I'm glad it did not happen while on my vacation starting the 27th but I'm disappointed as I thought Apple products were better made.

I think something was wrong with yours for a while if it was taking hours to sync. Mine's never taken that long I've got the 64GB model and it's full.

OP
I

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to see Apple came through for you.

Yes they did. Now my question is for those that ordered from Best Buy or others stores other than Apple, how does the replacement work (would you have to take it to a Apple store or possibly ship it in)?

Also the restore process (apps, movies, etc) was flawless.

swisspolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ouch, I think I'd have been spinning. I remember I used to have pretty bad luck with iPods but not since the iPhone came out has anything like that happened to me

Most reactions

Latest posts