What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I updated to 4.2 today

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today I was child setting my niece. She was playing games on my iPad when I found out that 4.2 was out. I downloaded the 4.2 and gave the iPad back to her and told her it had a new OS. She said "so what's new".

So after she left, I was looking around my iPad to see what was new with 4.2. I found nothing had really changed. Her words came back to me, "so what's new".

I was eagerly awaiting 4.2 for months and now that I have, what can I do that I couldn't do before? So far, the answer is nothing.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The biggest change is multitasking. (double click the home button) But as the Devs update apps you will see most apps pause instead of having to load every time. It's really handy!

iwhalperin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ability to use folders to organize files is of great importance to me. Instead of eight pages of icons I was able to categorize my files which has significantly speeded the rate at which I can work.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I miss the orientation lock switch, it has become a mute switch.

The folders are quite nice

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I miss the orientation lock switch, it has become a mute switch.

Ditto. I know there is a software button for it but I still prefer the switch to rotate lock the device. Oh well, it isn't coming back so I'm sure I will get used to it.

Other than that I am completely underwhelmed by the update, but I wasn't really expecting to be blown away by it.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They added some nice animations on screen switching! And I feel like it does not lagg as much as before! There are hidden added features like spotlight search has been edited so that you can choose what results show up ( mail, contacts, email, video, and apps) (text on iphone) that my favorite addition, i hatted spotlighting and friends can see my emails! They added option for free mobile me account, that allows you to find lost i gadgets (before only a feature for paid mobile me subascribers) if you own an apple tv you can now "airplay" sending a video your watchin on your iPad straight to a tv bearing apple tv. Works with audio YouTube and photos as well. Not to sure on photos! But that just some of the new features!

Page rendering has got better IMO

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
http://www.ipadforums.net/user/jrbookwalter

The first step toward feeling secure that you can find a lost device is to head to iTunes (either on your computer or from the device itself) and download Find My iPhone 1.1, which was released on Monday alongside iOS 4.2. Apple notes that “this update is required for users of the previous version of Find My iPhone app (v1.0 and v1.0.1), so no sense delaying the inevitable.

Of course, you’ll also have to be running iOS 4.2 in order to take advantage of Apple’s generosity, so if you haven’t done so, plug your device into iTunes and get updated. (Jailbreakers beware: You’ll be restored to a stock iOS 4.2 install, so approach with caution.) Seriously -- go do it right now. We’ll wait.

Sign In with Your Apple ID

Okay, everyone on iOS 4.2 (which is actually iOS 4.2.1 if you want to be nitpicky about it) and have Find My iPhone 1.1 installed? Good, let’s move on.

Launch the Settings app and head into “Mail, Contacts, Calendars,” then add a MobileMe account. You’ll be greeted with a request to enter either your Apple ID or MobileMe e-mail address. In this case we want to enter our Apple ID, which is the same as the one we use to shop at the iTunes Store (you remember it, don’t you?). Type it in and move to the Password field, enter that and tap on Next. Apple will verify your credentials and you’ll be ready for the main event -- flip the switch to turn on Find My iPhone (or iPad, or iPod touch), tap Allow at the prompt and then Save to activate.

If you don’t have an Apple ID yet, prepare to run the gauntlet to get one: Tap on “Create Free Apple ID,” enter your Location and date of birth (Month, Day and Year), tap Next and then complete your e-mail address, first and last name, password and security question. Apple has beefed up security with iTunes passwords, now requiring at least eight characters, which must include a number and both an uppercase and lowercase letter. (Yikes!) You’ll also be presented with the first of 14 pages (?!) of Apple’s “MobileMe Free Account” terms of service. Accept that and the final hurdle remains -- verifying your new account from an e-mail you’ll receive and then logging into the new account online. Whew!

Launch Find My iPhone App

Now that iOS 4.2 recognizes you as a free user, you can launch the Find My iPhone app, where you’ll be greeted by the same request for Apple ID and Password.

This request was initially a conundrum for us, since our Apple ID and password happen to be the same as our MobileMe account -- when we entered our Apple ID and password, Find My iPhone threw back an error, even with the correct info. The solution is to turn off your paid MobileMe service, or login using your full MobileMe e-mail address (for instance, “[email protected]” instead of just “ilovemaclife”) to use Find My iPhone as part of your subscription.

In either event, once you log in, you’ll be presented with a list of devices, which at this point should only contain the device being held in your hand. You can add additional devices by repeating the instructions above on each one.

IPad-Fan-64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the orientation double click on the home button and slide right and you will find the orientation button.

With mobile me go into settings and click on mail, contacts and click on add account then click on MobileMe.

Type in your iTunes apple I'd and password and then verify your email.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent instructions! Thank you!

Do I have to leave find phone running on iPad? Like don't sign out right?

Last edited:

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the orientation double click on the home button and slide right and you will find the orientation button.

Several apps don't properly detect a locked landscape mode on startup

Before 4.2.1:
Flick the lock switch. Done.

After 4.2.1:
double click the home button
swipe to the right
click to unlock
flip the ipad 90 degrees and back
click to re-lock
swipe to exit that mode
Done

I understand it's the app producer's responsibility to make his app properly detect an orientation lock, but the fact is the orientation switch was extremely convenient in this crcumstance.

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Several apps don't properly detect a locked landscape mode on startup

Before 4.2.1:
Flick the lock switch. Done.

After 4.2.1:
double click the home button
swipe to the right
click to unlock
flip the ipad 90 degrees and back
click to re-lock
swipe to exit that mode
Done

I understand it's the app producer's responsibility to make his app properly detect an orientation lock, but the fact is the orientation switch was extremely convenient in this crcumstance.

See how much easier it is now? :D

I guess the reason the switch got changed is because Apple wanted to make the controls common with other iOS devices. I guess I was wrong when I said the Ipad was a big Ipod Touch, It is really just a big Iphone (minus the phone of course)!

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think ey went with all those additions bacuse they iPad 2 will have no physical buttons! Besides the home button of course. Witch would allow them to make it slighty thinner and unfi iPad and iPhone as mentioned!

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On a phone, a mute button is very convenient when you walk in a meeting, go to a restaurant, etc. Not the case for an iPd...anyway it already sort of had a mute function by holding the volume down button for al a second.
oh well...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I not only upgraded my ipad to 4.2.1, but also did my Apple TV. Only on it, 4.2 is called 4.1. That was a bit of a pain, because I had to redo my wifi setup.

Most reactions

Latest posts