What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMS for ipad2 3g posible to authorize viber?

OP
H

hotstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Martin.D said:
I'm using Viber on iPad2 and no problems with both SMS and Calls to other user's!

What country are u in, also how much have they charged you, I just heard AT&T is suing them soon because they charged someone a few hundred bucks using tricky methods to fool users.

Sent from my iPad2 64GB wifi 3G using iPF

John Ba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team.

I'd like to explain in a clear way how it is possible to register to Viber even without having a SIM card in your iPad:

1. connect to WiFi from your iPad/iPod.
2. download and install Viber app. when asked for your number, enter your regular cellphone's number, then confirm.
3. an SMS message with the code will be sent to your regular cellular phone.
4. take that code and use it in your iPad/iPod. Viber will then be activated, and you're good to go.

* this means that if anyone dials your number on Viber, you will get the call on your iPad/iPod.

If you have any more questions/suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks,
Viber.

John Ba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If by "confuse" you mean that it won't work together, then unfortunately that's correct.
Only 1 Viber number can only be assigned to a single device. So if you also have an iPhone, use a different number (old cell number, family's, friend's etc.) in order to register Viber on your iPad, and you'll have that number assigned to your iPad.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Viber said:
If by "confuse" you mean that it won't work together, then unfortunately that's correct.
Only 1 Viber number can only be assigned to a single device. So if you also have an iPhone, use a different number (old cell number, family's, friend's etc.) in order to register Viber on your iPad, and you'll have that number assigned to your iPad.

If the phone is inactive, how do you get the code?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

John Ba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to have a phone in order to receive the SMS with the code or the automated call.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team.

I'd like to explain in a clear way how it is possible to register to Viber even without having a SIM card in your iPad:

1. connect to WiFi from your iPad/iPod.
2. download and install Viber app. when asked for your number, enter your regular cellphone's number, then confirm.
3. an SMS message with the code will be sent to your regular cellular phone.
4. take that code and use it in your iPad/iPod. Viber will then be activated, and you're good to go.

* this means that if anyone dials your number on Viber, you will get the call on your iPad/iPod.

If you have any more questions/suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks,
Viber.

I have an iPad 2 3G but with no SIM card. I followed these steps using my Nokia's phone number, got the code on it, put it into Viper on the iPad, then sent an SMS-Viper-text to a friend the other side of the world and got a Viper text reply from him within a minute or two.

So, Viper definitely DOES work on the iPad 2 3G with no SIM card!:)

Thanks for those who gave the tips on how to set Viper up on an iPad!

OP
H

hotstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yarrenbool said:
I have an iPad 2 3G but with no SIM card. I followed these steps using my Nokia's phone number, got the code on it, put it into Viper on the iPad, then sent an SMS-Viper-text to a friend the other side of the world and got a Viper text reply from him within a minute or two.

So, Viper definitely DOES work on the iPad 2 3G with no SIM card!:)

Thanks for those who gave the tips on how to set Viper up on an iPad!

FYI I just found out it depends on the country, certain countries are not set up with viber to work with iPads, just iPhones, I don't agree with it but it's what viber says, I can't see why nit though, but then again over in france several people who have viber on their iPhones can not get it to work on iPad 2 s at all.

Sent from my iPad2 64GB wifi 3G using iPF

Deedee86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not really that Apple block SMS on the iPad, it's simply that the iPad does not possess SMS or voice-call functionality (except for VoIP - which is quite separate from 'normal' GSM voice). So I'm afraid it's impossible to receive an SMS on the iPad *directly*. Several third-party service providers host 'indirect' text message send and receive services and some will even allow you to allocate your iPad SIM number to that service. Whether you could use such a service depends which country you currently reside in, because that service is not available in all countries.

Tim

Sorry dude, iPad can send SMS directly if your ISP like Optus give.s you free texts, however receiving SMS isn't enabled, I think apple will add this function to iPad n call it iPad 3

Last edited:

caebriones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad2 viber

how can i get the app..everytime i type viber ipad..it does show anything..i tried one,but its for iphone

John Ba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since Viber does not officially support iPads, it can be found on iPhone's AppStore.

Most reactions