What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart cover wear and tear?

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love how it turns the Ipad on and off but it is not worth the wear on my ipad. I’m sure someone will make a cover that will do the same thing.

There are literally HUNDREDS of them..

I have two for mine already.. one black, and one brown.. both good quality leather and sturdy..

both put it to sleep and wake it up when opened/closed

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is making me think it is time to return mine to bestbuy and wait it out for a better option. I don't care about the "smart" function. I just want to protect it.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
I got the gray poly cover and see no wear on hinges or the ipad at all after two weeks of use. I got some transparent contact paper (3 bucks for 5 feet!) for the back which works perfectly.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you can see I the pic it is wear from the hinge rubbing on the iPad.

64GB 3G White iPad

phat56pat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mine left rub marks on mine like its polishing the matte areas thing sucks so i am gonna make custom back covers for them any color and printed things on them too so you wont see this the grey one gets dirty easy but does clean up well

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine has not been off in over 2 weeks and I see no signs of wear or anything else negative that could be attributed to the smart cover.

I am with you, no wear and tear at all. Perfect condition. My red smart cover sets off my ipad2 prfectly.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine a lot throughout the day and all evening.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have returned mine for the HDMI adaptor which rocks by the way.

64GB 3G White iPad

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm going to look at my wife's pink SC and take note how her hinges look.

tccox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exact same problem here. Paint from smart cover hinge rubbing off on Ipad. Question, is problem with the smart cover or with the Ipad ??? I mean if I got a replacement Smart cover would problem continue ???

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tccox said:
Exact same problem here. Paint from smart cover hinge rubbing off on Ipad. Question, is problem with the smart cover or with the Ipad ??? I mean if I got a replacement Smart cover would problem continue ???

It's a SmartCover hinge shaving issue, and from what I've seen, MOST do it.. It's no real issue as the marks rub off easily with a lick of the thumb, and a rub, but it's totally up to you if you want to deal with it.. I chose not to, and got two cases..

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Silent Assassin said:
It's a SmartCover hinge shaving issue, and from what I've seen, MOST do it.. It's no real issue as the marks rub off easily with a lick of the thumb, and a rub, but it's totally up to you if you want to deal with it.. I chose not to, and got two cases..

Not mine. It had a wear mark from rubbing on my iPad.

64GB 3G White iPad

CalistogaMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smart Cover Wear

I have had my "SmartCover" for just over two months and I most often fold it back to use the iPad. I noticed that the hinges rub on the side of the iPad and have caused some damage to the painted surface, as well as the hinge itself. Yes the marks on the paint do rub off, but not from the hinge itself!
Also there is a soft material covering the magnets that hold the cover onto the side of the iPad. Because I live in an area with a lot of magnetic iron sand the sand adheres to this surface and then has also marked the surface where the cover fits.
I don't know if Apple has any solution/comments on this problem.

steveyg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
had the grey vinyl for a couple of days, it marked very easily, black leather seems to be much more hard wearing

Most reactions

Latest posts