What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover Function Changed on iPad 3?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wrote here yesterday that the Bear Motion case that I used on my iPad 2 fits the iPad 3. And it does. However, when you close the case it doesn't not turn off the screen....so the smart cover feature in the Bear Motion case for iPad2 doesnt' work for iPad3. However, the old Apple Smart Cover does work on the iPad3, but mine has basically come apart so I'm done with the Apple Smart Covers (for what I paid for it it should last 5 years).

Anywho...in looking for another case I decided to see if Bear Motion has a case for iPad3. They do, but it won't hit the street until March 22 (I really like their case...sturdy and puts the iPad at really good position for both typing and videos....way better than Smart Cover. You can see it here:

Amazon.com: Bear Motion 100% Genuine Leather Case with Built-in Stand for iPad 3 / the New iPad (Latest Generation) - Black: Electronics

Note that in the "Technical Details" section of the product description it says this:

Apple Changed the Smart Cover Function on iPad 3. Most cases in the market today are having problem. We have this problem fixed and will have the new inventory by Wednesday.

Has anyone else noticed any problems which suggest something changed?

My initial thoughts where that while the iPad2 version fits the iPad3, something must have been slightly out of alignment to make the autolock feature not work. I'm not sure that should be considered a change to the Smart Cover function, but just due to having to make the housing thicker to fit the new battery, which we all know we needed to be done for LTE and the display.

kanyewesttx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
third party ipad 2 smart covers fit but do not make the screen sleep on ipad 3s. ipad 2 smart covers work 100% on ipad 3s .. maybe the magnets r in diferent spot on ipad 3

Vishal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I wrote here yesterday that the Bear Motion case that I used on my iPad 2 fits the iPad 3. And it does. However, when you close the case it doesn't not turn off the screen....so the smart cover feature in the Bear Motion case for iPad2 doesnt' work for iPad3. However, the old Apple Smart Cover does work on the iPad3, but mine has basically come apart so I'm done with the Apple Smart Covers (for what I paid for it it should last 5 years).

Anywho...in looking for another case I decided to see if Bear Motion has a case for iPad3. They do, but it won't hit the street until March 22 (I really like their case...sturdy and puts the iPad at really good position for both typing and videos....way better than Smart Cover. You can see it here:

Amazon.com: Bear Motion 100% Genuine Leather Case with Built-in Stand for iPad 3 / the New iPad (Latest Generation) - Black: Electronics

Note that in the "Technical Details" section of the product description it says this:

Has anyone else noticed any problems which suggest something changed?

My initial thoughts where that while the iPad2 version fits the iPad3, something must have been slightly out of alignment to make the autolock feature not work. I'm not sure that should be considered a change to the Smart Cover function, but just due to having to make the housing thicker to fit the new battery, which we all know we needed to be done for LTE and the display.

Well. Mine works like it was working with iPad 2, but I got new one with ipad3

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
third party ipad 2 smart covers fit but do not make the screen sleep on ipad 3s. ipad 2 smart covers work 100% on ipad 3s .. maybe the magnets r in diferent spot on ipad 3

Yeah...it sucks but such is life. I'm going to order a new BEAR Motion.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found this comment on Amazon.com in the review section for their iPad3 Bear Motion case. I think it comes from an employee:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 1:44:07 PM PDT
Pro Ebiz LLC says:
It appears that Apple moved the sensor a little bit. We are currently working on this.
We have tested about 100 cases both from the old iPad 2 case inventory and the new iPad 3 case inventory. We have found that about 20% of them don't work with the new iPad 3 in regards to the Smart Cover function. The remaining 80% work perfectly. I think it was just slightly changed and 80% of our cases still have it covered but the other 20% was off too much to have it covered.
Reply to this post

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Sonix portfolio case purchased for my iPad 2 that doesn't do auto lock on my new iPad even though it fits well enough. I'm happy to learn that it's the case and not the iPad. Apple must have known this would happen but chose not to inform the industry. I have the luxury of having this case available to me for a few weeks as my son won't be home to retrieve my iPad 2 for a month. I hope by then the dust settles and we know which covers work properly.

Most reactions

Latest posts