What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow Internet surfing

spoonman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A fix that works

I had the same problem and it is NOT the service. A Mac on the same network is much quicker. Try these fixes below. I personally had success with resetting the network settings.

Potential Fixes

Turn router off then on Try turning your wireless router off then back on.

Change wireless security You may want to try toggling the settings on your wireless router, switching from WPA to WEP or vice versa, or, as a last resort, turning wireless security off altogether.

For AirPort routers, this can be accomplished with the AirPort Admin Utility. For other routers, this can usually be accomplished by accessing the router’s configuration page — open a browser and enter the address 192.168.1.1.

Reset network settings. On your iPad, open Settings, then navigate to “General†in the left-hand pane. Scroll down and tap Reset, then select “Reset Network Settings.†This will delete any stored WiFi passwords and other information, but may result in a more stable connection.

Change thresholds in router settings Access your routers configuration screen (for most routers, open a browser and enter the address 192.168.1.1), then change the fragmentation threshold and the CTS/RTS threshold as described here.

Some users have found success with the settings Fragmentation= 2048, RTS = 512.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another fix for me was to enable OpenDNS on my router for all devices in my house. Apparently my ISP's DNS servers are crap because the results were instant and amazing.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it a lil slow but you may want to close some pages, I find having too many pages open slows down the processor.. And try that open dns service, didn't really see a diff. But others say it speed things up..

Overall my iPad works good on wifi, just when I load pages, especially in forums I find it a lil slow and when I page down I have to wait for page to appear, frustrating, hopefully next gen will fix this.

coqui52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Open dns worked for me

Go to settings, wifi, select the arrow pointing to the right next to the name of the wifi network you are connected to, touch in the tab of DNS and write

You will problably need to seperate them using a coma and good luck to you hope it works.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes I have connection and speed issues and the 3.2.1 upgrade helped... a lot! The other piece of the puzzle is actually the heart of the system... my router. I have a cheap, I mean really cheap D-Link router. It is a B/G/N router that was $20... brand new... from Best Buy! Sure, it works OK... for now... but sooner or later I am going to let some of the moths out of my wallet and donate this one to my local landfill and get something better.

The OP did not say what kind of router he is using. All routers are not created equal!

Greg_Cornish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipads and iPhones suck for speed. Speedtest don't mean anything. It shows it's as fast as my MacBook pro, however it takes 5 times longer to load any website, just like my iPhone 3g

Most reactions

Latest posts