What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow Internet surfing

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was tetheing with my droid and the Internet was great. When i was on my home wireless it was a bit slow. I think it may be wireless router

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel you mine is the same way. No matter what network I use. Any laptop or desktop using the same connection and wireless router in my house load pages instantly. The iPad takes longer to render them. I'm not even sure that it's a connection issue though because if I scroll to the bottom of a thread on a forum for example, it renders that part of the page I am on immediately.

It's like it's a problem with the graphics card.

sweet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just safari. It renders pretty slow compared to most everything else

I think perfect browser renders quicker but it's not displaying some sites properly

Last edited:

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad performance is pretty good on broadband, but slower than my desktop iMac. The iPad on 3G wireless is definitely feels at least 2-3X slower and sometimes painfully slow, especially with weak 3G signal (I get 3-4 bars, but sometimes down to 1-2 and rarely up to 5 bars if I hold the iPad by the window. So I ran some tests to compare performance metrics. Ran 2-3 times and recorded the best times:

Broadband cable to iMac24 3.16GHz: Download 8.75Mb/sec, Upload 0.95Mb/sec, ping 13ms

Broadband cable to iPad: Download 3.65Mb/sec, Upload 0.94Mb/sec, ping 54ms

3G AT&T wireless to iPad: Download 1.45Mb/sec, Upload 0.16Mb/sec, ping 358 ms

Using Wireless Router-N where iPad shows up as connected at 65Mb/sec via 802.11N. iMac24 connected via Gigabit Ethernet (when connected to wireless N, it is at 130Mb/sec connection speed).

All tests conducted via SpeedTest.net (iPhone/iPad app) and Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test for desktop browser test.

The iPad connects to the wireless Router-N slower and over 3G the ping times are much slower, so it will react slower and feel less responsive. In terms of actual data transfers, the iPad has some respectible download speeds, so videos can stream. Upload times on wireless are close to my cable providers cap, but 3G uploads are only 5-10% of that bandwidth.

Run Speedtest.net and see how your numbers compare. See if you can find a faster 802.11n broadband and does that make a difference?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is now default connecting to a neighbor's unsecured WiFi (unless I turn WiFi off) and it gets slow sometimes. At least I know why it bogs down but it must drive him nuts!

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just safari. It renders pretty slow compared to most everything else

I think perfect browser renders quicker but it's not displaying some sites properly
Bummer. Docs2Go seems to have this same problem.

sweet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm kind of upset that i spent 2 bucks on perfect browser and now don't even use it. I hope it gets an update soon so that i can try it out on this website

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm kind of upset that i spent 2 bucks on perfect browser and now don't even use it. I hope it gets an update soon so that i can try it out on this website

Why aren't you using it? If it's because you're having issues posting, I am using Perfect right now and posting in the normal reply box with no issues. My browser is set to render as Safari for iPad, not sure if that is why it's fine for me or not.

Kanishkp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is now default connecting to a neighbor's unsecured WiFi (unless I turn WiFi off) and it gets slow sometimes. At least I know why it bogs down but it must drive him nuts!

Hi Figmo10, This is the developer of "How To Videos from Howcast (for iPad)." I recent read your review and I want to help play the app better on your iPad. Could you give some more info about the strength of your connection. We have high quality videos that stream on wifi, but lower quality videos for 3G. Which connection were you on when you experience the stalling issues?

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully, we can create a better experience for you that'll enable you give us a higher rating.

dj r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my pad today love most everything about it except the net. It's like 20 times slower than dial up for me. I really wish it weren't because this could be a deal breaker for me. I am using the built in wifi in my Mac mini with a dsl connection. Had some wifi strength problems at first but they seem to have chilled a bit. Is this normal pages taking a very long time to load?

dial up? really, that slow?

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found the issue has to do with the N radio in my 3G. With the G it gets 15/3 and with N it gets 1-2/3. My vaio laptop get desktop speed on N so the issue is with the ipads N. Hopefully it can be resolved with a software update.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi Figmo10, This is the developer of "How To Videos from Howcast (for iPad)." I recent read your review and I want to help play the app better on your iPad. Could you give some more info about the strength of your connection. We have high quality videos that stream on wifi, but lower quality videos for 3G. Which connection were you on when you experience the stalling issues?

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully, we can create a better experience for you that'll enable you give us a higher rating.

See your PMs

Most reactions