What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow internet connection with Hughesnet satellite

Mr.Chips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We recently got Hughes-net satellite internet service and I don't understand why the Ipad 2 is so slow opening You Tube videos.

The HughesNet internet speed figures are Download = 18.9 Mbps, upload = 1.4 Mbps and Ping 856

I purchased a new NetGear R6250 AC 1600 Dual Band Gigabit.

With the above speeds I opened eight YouTube videos of various lengths and the average time for them to start running on the Ipad2 was 2.2 minutes.

I opened the same YouTube videos of various lengths and the average time for them to start running on my WiFi connected Laptop and it was 6 seconds.

Why is there such a difference between the Ipad and laptop youtube open/run time.

I have talked to HughesNet, Netgear and Apple to no avail.

I hate to add more length to this question but maybe this will help or further confuse but here goes.
My previous internet provider was a line of site type with a download speed of 5.1 Mbps and Upload of 1.6 Mbps and Ping = 31. The average time for the Ipad toopen/run a youtube was just 3 seconds. I switched internet providers because they frequently were down for up to 5 days.

Thanks

HH

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We recently got Hughes-net satellite internet service and I don't understand why the Ipad 2 is so slow opening You Tube videos.

The HughesNet internet speed figures are Download = 18.9 Mbps, upload = 1.4 Mbps and Ping 856

I purchased a new NetGear R6250 AC 1600 Dual Band Gigabit.

With the above speeds I opened eight YouTube videos of various lengths and the average time for them to start running on the Ipad2 was 2.2 minutes.

I opened the same YouTube videos of various lengths and the average time for them to start running on my WiFi connected Laptop and it was 6 seconds.

Why is there such a difference between the Ipad and laptop youtube open/run time.

I have talked to HughesNet, Netgear and Apple to no avail.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Since you've talked to the three main sources related to your issue including Apple, not sure that I can help much at the moment but do have some additional questions that may be useful: 1) What iOS is installed on your iPad 2 (and did any recent upgrades/updates affect this behavior); 2) Is the DL (download) speed above being measured on the iPad or your laptop, and if on the iPad which site/app are you using; 3) Are you DL speeds the same on the iPad and the laptop, if compared; 4) How are you viewing the videos on both devices, i.e. via a web browser and/or an app on the iDevice, and if a browser on the iPad, have you tried different ones (e.g. Atomic Web or Puffin, which I also use); and 5) Have you tried to 'Reset' the iPad (if not familiar w/ the procedure, hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both and allow the device to reboot). Dave

Most reactions