What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad case with shoulder strap, where you can use the iPad while strap over shoulder?

susan_cassidy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for an iPad case where you can use the iPad while in the case, with the strap over your shoulder or around your neck. For example, while walking around (using an astronomy application at night, for example), so that you don't accidentally drop the iPad. It would be handy while walking around in a city on vacation, too (I know I'd be asking to be mugged, but I don't go to places where that is very likely).

I've seen the Simplism one, and am not impressed by the comfort of the strap, and possibly the security of the iPad. I also saw one by Acton Treadway, but it did not seem right, either.

I've seen another for disabled people where the screen is completely uncovered, and I don't really want that, either. A flap I could fold back or something would be good.

Any recommendations? I'm not terribly concerned with price, just quality, and that it does what I want.

I've done a lot of google searches, but it is hard to exclude cases like messenger bags, etc.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using a Simplism folio style case.
On one occasion I noticed my hand going to sleep on the side of my body where the strap was around my neck but that has only occurred the one time.
I don't take my iPad out of the case much but am noticing that if I hold the case upside down the iPad starts to slip out now (case is a couple of months old). The only time I really use the iPad button up is when I am laying in bed with it plugged in and in the portrait mode so that isn't a consideration for field use.
I was wanting a case that I could wear and still use the iPad while doing astronomy or birding. The Simplism works for me. I wear it with the screen toward my body so the flap folds away when I open it. I have to leave the strap very long to get it far enough from my eyes to be able to read the iPad, or I will have to get new glasses, and that makes it hang lower on my leg than I'd like when I am walking. But my iPad is always at hand and there is no danger of me stepping on it in the dark or someone liberating it.
I am finding that the leather is starting to show some signs of wear on the edges.
I haven't found another case that would meet my needs as well so would buy this one again if I had to.

OP
S

susan_cassidy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks kc2ped. I was worried about the iPad slipping out of the Simplism case. And the strap does not seem comfortable. I don't know why this type of case isn't more readily available.

I found mention of one: ieCase, but I keep trying to contact them with questions about how the cover works while using the strap, and never hear back from them.

The ModuLR one looks like too much hassle to remove the part covering the screen.

The expensive one from Templebags does not seem to be usable while using the shoulder strap.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a fabric case similar in function to the Simplism case that I saw talked about on the "two guys on a couch" iPad podcast (I think that one is The iPad Podcast). I don't know what issue number it was to direct you to it but I am sure if you emailed Steve Bostedore at the podcast you can get the information to see his review. That case does have a Velcro closure at the top which will prevent the iPad from falling out. I am not sure the strap will be any more comfortable as I think the fabric will just roll where it crosses your neck unless it has some kind of stiffener in it. The main thing I didn't like was that the window for the screen didn't look like it laid flat against the screen. If I had known about it before I was exasperated when I found the Simplism case I probably would have given it a try because what I was looking for was something in cordura. But I think the Simplism case offers more protection and mine has survived several falls from the table to the linoleum covered cement color in it.

rcharlton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen another for disabled people where the screen is completely uncovered, and I don't really want that, either. A flap I could fold back or something would be good.

Hi Susan

Do you remember where you saw that case for disabled people? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had you though of using the Apple case and fitting straps to it yourself?
Firm, light and easily modable with either stitching or impact adhesives and rivets etc..

msslvz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Case with clutch and shoulder strap

Look at Happy Owl web site.

peebs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Protabstuff.com sells cases with a strap. The case is designed so that medical professionals can use it in their clinics, but it has applications for all different types of users. The case allows the user to type on the ipad without taking it out of the case. Let me know what you think.

Most reactions

Latest posts