What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleep mode question ~

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that is what it is called ~ but is there a way to turn that off? What is the point of having it go to sleep? To save on the battery?

I just got a really cool screen saver and I never get to see it because the iPad goes to sleep!:(

Why leave the television on if you are not watching anything?

Why leave your car engine running if you are not going anywhere?

Worst of all, why leave a cooker switched on if you are not doing any cooking?

I don't see any reasons why we can't put our iPads to sleep if we're not using it for a while, while we are busy doing a lot of other things. Or switch it off if we are not going to use it for a very long time.

Yes, it may be to "save battery", leaving the iPad totally on, with Wi-Fi and 3G and location service all switched on, and the screen brightens set to the maximum, would drain the power faster, while doing it the other way round, sleep mode, settings turned off, screen brightnes set lower, etc., would give us some more extra mintues of power.

But surely it helps a little bit to go green just for a bit, like putting your iPad in sleep mode (or ever turned off) to try to make the iPad last longer between recharging. Surely you would prefer to recharge your iPad every few days than if you leave it all-on and at maximum settings, draining your battery faster, so forcing you to recharge your iPad every day?

I do use the sleep mode when I got other things to do, and do turn it off overnight. What's the point of leaving it on if I'm not using it?

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Major, I totally agree with you. However,
I do use the sleep mode when I got other things to do, and do turn it off overnight. What's the point of leaving it on if I'm not using it?

Rather than switching it off I put mine to sleep overnight so that it comes on more quickly the next time I use it. However, if a compelling case can be made for actually switching it off (ie, conserving energy), then I'm all ears.

Does the iPad use much energy in sleep mode? My battery meter doesn't seem to move overnight, but I will check this again.

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Major, I totally agree with you. However,

Rather than switching it off I put mine to sleep overnight so that it comes on more quickly the next time I use it. However, if a compelling case can be made for actually switching it off (ie, conserving energy), then I'm all ears.

Does the iPad use much energy in sleep mode? My battery meter doesn't seem to move overnight, but I will check this again.

Thank you kindly.

Point of note, when you wake up in the morning, the first thing you can always do is turn your iPad on, then while waiting for it to start up, you just do whatever you do whenever you wake up. Get coffee, go to the toilet, get dressed, let your cat in from overnight outing, something you really need to do, that won't take more than a minute. By the time you're done, your iPad will be ready.

I would image it hardly use some power overnight while in sleep mode, maybe you'll only lose 1% of power overnight, if hardly any at all, but surely there are other matters to worry about? Why let the chips in the iPad be still running when not in use?

If anyone wants to waste battery power, leaving everything on, that's their choice, if some like to leave theirs in sleep overnight, again their choice, I just don't see the point in having it on all the time when I'm not using it, or in sleep mode if I'm not ever going to use it for a few hours.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have to ask if you set your iPad to never sleep and run a "screensaver" all of the time, how is your battery life? I have to imagine that the battery is getting frightfully close to the maximum number of charge cycles by now.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to imagine that the battery is getting frightfully close to the maximum number of charge cycles by now.
Theoretically, the iPad battery is good for 1000 complete cycles, so even if you completely drained and recharged your iPad every day, you would have almost 3 years of use before reaching the maximum number of cycles!

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Except if you are never letting the iPad sleep and have a screen saver running 24/7, I suspect you are either power cycling several times a day or leaving the iPad on the charger all day. Either would reduce the lifetime of the battery and iPad.

Briefal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find the setting you are talking about. In my "settings" there is nothing for "sleep". The only "never" I can find has to do with auto lock. To me, that doesn't say sleep at all. Nor am I aware of a "sleep" button. I'm not an idiot but this is making me feel stupid.

OK, I found the sleep button, but I still can't find how to change how long the iPad can be inactive before going to sleep. Mine goes to sleep after about five minutes, so anytime I am trying to download something I keep having to touch the screen every few minutes or the download stops. Pain in the ole keyster it is.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't find the setting you are talking about. In my "settings" there is nothing for "sleep". The only "never" I can find has to do with auto lock. To me, that doesn't say sleep at all. Nor am I aware of a "sleep" button. I'm not an idiot but this is making me feel stupid.

OK, I found the sleep button, but I still can't find how to change how long the iPad can be inactive before going to sleep. Mine goes to sleep after about five minutes, so anytime I am trying to download something I keep having to touch the screen every few minutes or the download stops. Pain in the ole keyster it is.

You were in the right area - its the place in Settings for the AutoLock. If you set it to "Never," your iPad will not go to sleep. Just remember to reset it back to your 5 minutes (or however long you wish, based on the options provided) after you are done.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Most reactions