What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sky Go not working

Stevelamont

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else use sky go on iPad or iPhone? It appears the sky have started blocking jailbroken devices? I can't understand why they would do this as its a free app. It's not like it can be victim to piracy.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it was confirmed by some of our members in this thread, much to my dismay - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/57401-sky-tv.html

No fix at present. It has been reported to xCon, so hopefully they will provide a sandbox fix in the future.

The reason organisations do this is to protect the rights of the content owners. It's not about piracy of the app. It's about using the media stream for purposes other than those intended, which on a jailbroken device is a possibility in theory. In practice most of us just want to watch the service for which we already pay good money :)

Last edited:
OP
S

Stevelamont

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I see what you mean. I'd imagine a fix will be out at some point soon enough. A little frustrating that I can't have the match on while she watches eastenders!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stevelamont said:
Yeah I see what you mean. I'd imagine a fix will be out at some point soon enough. A little frustrating that I can't have the match on while she watches eastenders!

I don't think they will be able to fix this, love film player doesn't work on jail broken devices and hasn't ever since its been out. If sky doesn't want you to play their content you won't be able to, their a multi billion company with a greedy owner, we can't beat people like that unfortunately.

OP
S

Stevelamont

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think they will be able to fix this, love film player doesn't work on jail broken devices and hasn't ever since its been out. If sky doesn't want you to play their content you won't be able to, their a multi billion company with a greedy owner, we can't beat people like that unfortunately.

I would say Apple is an even bigger multi billion dollar company and yet the problem arises from their software being modified. I think the question is not "if" it's "when".

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stevelamont said:
I would say Apple is an even bigger multi billion dollar company and yet the problem arises from their software being modified. I think the question is not "if" it's "when".

Apple won't do anything about it! They don't want us to jailbreak as it is, if anything they'd support it!

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sky Go is working on my jb ipad 2. I use for the program schedule only though.

OP
S

Stevelamont

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple won't do anything about it! They don't want us to jailbreak as it is, if anything they'd support it!

I never suggested apple would do anything about it. I was suggesting that, if apples software can be jailbroken then sky's app can be patched. The poster said that sky was a multi billion dollar company and if they did not want us to do it we couldn't. My point is that apple is an even bigger multi billion dollar company that doesn't want their software jailbroken and yet it is done every time.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sky go is now working on jailbroken iPads thanks to xcon! My hats off to him. Also purchase alias xcon, its only $2.00 and it allows you to update an app without worrying about it being patched, (even if it is just drop him an email and he will sort it!) I think he deserves it!

I stand corrected I'm pleased to say!

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sky go is now working on jailbroken iPads thanks to xcon! My hats off to him. Also purchase alias xcon, its only $2.00 and it allows you to update an app without worrying about it being patched, (even if it is just drop him an email and he will sort it!) I think he deserves it!

I stand corrected I'm pleased to say!

Oh ye of little faith! Happy to see the jailbreaking community delivers again! Hats off to xCon for a very speedy remedy. And yes, I too am a happy owner of "xCon Alias" as a 2$ thanks to the dev. :D

boyzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Xcon not working again after Sky Go update (which you must do) but the dev is working on it.....

gVes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
boyzie said:
Xcon not working again after Sky Go update (which you must do) but the dev is working on it.....

Skygo fix
Delete app, reboot, sync earlier version 2.1.5 from iTunes
Open app, get update app info
Close and kill the app
Use sbsettings, more, app folders,
Note the first few digits of the app folder name
Open ifile, var/mobile/applications
Find app folder digits
Open skygo.app
Edit info.plist version number from 2.1.5
To 2.2.0
App now works like before
It's a fix until xcon gets updated
Enjoy..

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gVes said:
Skygo fix
Delete app, reboot, sync earlier version 2.1.5 from iTunes
Open app, get update app info
Close and kill the app
Use sbsettings, more, app folders,
Note the first few digits of the app folder name
Open ifile, var/mobile/applications
Find app folder digits
Open skygo.app
Edit info.plist version number from 2.1.5
To 2.2.0
App now works like before
It's a fix until xcon gets updated
Enjoy..

Not if you've got an earlier version, like 2.0.2, and never updated. :(

gVes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
Not if you've got an earlier version, like 2.0.2, and never updated. :(

Did you try changing the plist on 2.0.2? I don't know, but in theory it should work. But I only tested this on 2.1.5. :s

Most reactions

Latest posts