What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Size of iPadIOS 15.3

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an old iPad Air with only 16GB of storage. I have since replaced this model but want to use it only for my Grandchildren to play games. I would like to update with iPadOS 15.3 but there isn't sufficient storage. I was thinking of returning it to factory settings and setting up as a new user with only the minimum of Apps. Can anyone please advise of the size of iPad IOS15.3.

Apologies, I have just realised I have this thread on the wrong forum, I cant see how to delete or move it to the iPad forum

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I‘ve moved your thread to the iPad Air 2 forum.

The update‘s size is about 800 - 1000 MB, depending on which device you install it.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, I have an old iPad Air with only 16GB of storage. I have since replaced this model but want to use it only for my Grandchildren to play games. I would like to update with iPadOS 15.3 but there isn't sufficient storage. I was thinking of returning it to factory settings and setting up as a new user with only the minimum of Apps. Can anyone please advise of the size of iPad IOS15.3.

Apologies, I have just realised I have this thread on the wrong forum, I cant see how to delete or move it to the iPad forum
Unfortunately, the original Generation 1 iPad Air cannot run IOS 15. It is limited to IOS 12. The Air 2, on the other hand, will run IOS 15.

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for responding, I should have said it was an i-pad Air 2. Would you know what the total size of the operating system is if I turn back to factory settings and it update to IOS 15.3. I would like some space left to download games. I don't intend using the camera so there will no photos taking up storage space.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for responding, I should have said it was an i-pad Air 2. Would you know what the total size of the operating system is if I turn back to factory settings and it update to IOS 15.3. I would like some space left to download games. I don't intend using the camera so there will no photos taking up storage space.
Just checked my old Air 2. The OS is exactly 6.83 GB.

OP
A

agh55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply, there is another folder which is called "system data" on the newer i-Pads, on my iPad Air 2 it is called "other" and it is taking up 4.5GB . Can this be reduced?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply, there is another folder which is called "system data" on the newer i-Pads, on my iPad Air 2 it is called "other" and it is taking up 4.5GB . Can this be reduced?
System data comprises files and caches needed to run the system smoothly. Restoring the iPad should remove a lot of these.

Most reactions