What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Capacity=12.8GB is this a 16GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is an iPad 2 but it's of no consequence to my inquiry. The machine is a good 6 or 7 or more years old. Under Settings>>General>>About it lists Capacity as 12.8GB. But that isn't a power of two, so I presume it's not including a few GBs allotted to iOS and so this is a 16GB machine. Am I right? I'm shopping for a new iPad (for the missus BTW so I am kind of unfamiliar), and since this one shows 3.2GB storage still "Available" I want the new device to have more storage, so 32GB, if this one is indeed 16. And I am a might confused as Wal-Mart has some of the "latest model" 9.7-inch Wifi 32GB iPads for a low $329 but they are model MR7F2LL/A; whereas low-priced sellers on eBay have the (brand new) "6th generation" iPads also 32GB with WiFi only and also 9.7-inch display but they cost more and are model MRJN2CL/A. Perusing the specs I fail to see any obvious differences. Can someone point out what I am missing plz? Maybe the eBay models are Apple Pencil compatible. If that is the ONLY drawback I would opt for the cheaper Wal-Mart thing. This is just a tad too much complexity for my aging aching brain and I am so sorry but I fail to spot the relevant difference. THANK YOU for any help!

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you go to ‘Settings’ ‘General’ ‘iPad Storage’, you will be given a list of all your apps with their storage space, and right at the bottom of the list it tells you how much space the OS is taking.

Edit: This is using iOS 11.3, but I see you have an ipad 2, so I don’t know what OS you’re using.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like your current device is an iPad with 16 GB of storage.

The models you were looking at were both the 6th generation Wi-Fi only, released a few weeks ago. The only difference is their colour, thus the different numbers.
689E7C3D-A2BD-40CB-ABA2-01B73C541254.jpeg

Everymac

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thank you to the extreme, J.A., as your reply is superbly helpful!

Pouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you decide to buy a new device such as an iPad, a laptop, or a laptop phone, you need to choose the one with the most memory if you have a lot of data to store.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread was started in 2018. The OP hasn‘t been back since 2019. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts