What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple Question from Idiot user

Poohcat2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm new and have downloaded my music from my PC to IPad but how do I paly them? I cant find a music player or a library list to select songs to listen to. Sorry about the simplisity and basicness of the question but its really annoying me. Hope someone can help. :ipad-peacock::eek:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm new and have downloaded my music from my PC to IPad but how do I paly them? I cant find a music player or a library list to select songs to listen to. Sorry about the simplisity and basicness of the question but its really annoying me. Hope someone can help. :ipad-peacock::eek:

The music you download to your iPad ends up in the iPod app. Movies that you download end up in the Video app.

Hope that helps.

Tim

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol that got me a bit confused when I first used my iPad. I was used to tapping on "music" on my iPod Touch, But it's called "iPod" on the iPad. :eek:

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also double click the home button and swipe your finger to the right on the icon bar that appears to access the controls for your music. The iPod icon is on the right for selecting your music the mute icon on the left and the music controls in the middle along with the volume and screen brightness.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can also double click the home button and swipe your finger to the right on the icon bar that appears to access the controls for your music. The iPod icon is on the right for selecting your music the mute icon on the left and the music controls in the middle along with the volume and screen brightness.

True, this will control the iPod app by default, but hold in mind that if you have another audio app in the background (even if it is not playing) you will get it instead. It's easy to tell when this happens. The icon changes to whatever app you're controlling.

I believe the app has to still be in RAM for this to happen, so only the last few apps showing in the multitask bar on the iPad 1, maybe last half dozen on the iPad 2 should cause this.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
True, this will control the iPod app by default, but hold in mind that if you have another audio app in the background (even if it is not playing) you will get it instead. It's easy to tell when this happens. The icon changes to whatever app you're controlling.

I believe the app has to still be in RAM for this to happen, so only the last few apps showing in the multitask bar on the iPad 1, maybe last half dozen on the iPad 2 should cause this.

I bow to your superior knowledge, I was unaware of this myself. It seemed to me that the OP was new to the iPad and I assumed no other audio app was being used other than the default one. Of course you're advice would be valuable if another app were to be installed.

OP
P

Poohcat2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. A search of my IPad and ITunes and have found the music is loaded but I dont have the IPod icon and even in settings cannot get a short cut made for the IPod. Nor can I access my library except in ITunes and using th search in IPad.
Can you help or am I being exceptionally thick?:eek::eek::confused::confused:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

I bow to your superior knowledge, I was unaware of this myself. It seemed to me that the OP was new to the iPad and I assumed no other audio app was being used other than the default one. Of course you're advice would be valuable if another app were to be installed.

It wasn't meant as a correction, just expansion on the topic; a comment on some of the interesting ways that iOS does things. I agree you did an excellent job of answering the OP's question. Unfortunately I'm feeling gabby today, and since it's mostly on topic I gabbed. :D

I played around with it a bit more after posting, and it doesn't seem to be a queue of apps or anything. It's just the last active app, or the iPod app.

For instance, when I play a radio app I have and stop it the radio apps shows. Then I start Pandora, and stop it. Predictably Pandora is now the app showing up. But if I then used the multitask bar to clear Pandora from RAM, it does not go back to the radio app. Instead, it defaults once again to the iPod app.

gab gab gab :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. A search of my IPad and ITunes and have found the music is loaded but I dont have the IPod icon and even in settings cannot get a short cut made for the IPod. Nor can I access my library except in ITunes and using th search in IPad.
Can you help or am I being exceptionally thick?:eek::eek::confused::confused:

The iPod app has to be on your iPad. It's a default app, and can not be deleted.

It is possible it is on another screen. Look between the top apps and the row of apps along the bottom of your screen. You should see a fain row of dots with a small magnifying glass icon to the left. However many dots you have is the number of screens you have, and each screen will have at least one icon on it.

To move between screens just swipe your finger from right to left across the screen, or vice versa if you want to go the other way. You should find your iPod app on one of the screens. It's a bright orange/yellow with a picture of a classic iPod in the middle.

The left most screen is a search screen. You can search your iPad for apps and other content that way. So, if you can't seem to find the iPod app the easy way, go to this screen and type iPod in the search bar. It should show up. You can launch it here, just to check things out, but you're going to want to find it and move it to a more convenient screen later.

To help you along the way a bit more I'm giving you a link to the iPad support site at Apple. You can download a PDF version of the iPad Users Guide from there. This is best done on a computer for now, but there is a way to load and read it on the iPad. Browsing through it should give a good overview of what and how things work on your iPad.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/

You can also get this manual through iBooks, which I highly recommend. Go to the Apps Store and download iBooks. It's free. When you have iBooks, open it and go to the iBooks Store in the app. Search for the iPad Users Guide and download it. It is also free.

Last edited:
OP
P

Poohcat2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help have found the IPod icon and moved it to a better place. Once again thank for your assistance

OP
P

Poohcat2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah well some off us are destined to be passengers on the ludite bus forever I fear but thanks for the encouragement:ipad-case:

Most reactions

Latest posts