What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about iTunes Match

iPad Luv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again, I'm hoping I will get some help with my question about iTunes Match.

After 3 days of going through the "match" process (I have almost 10,000 songs!), it finally finished and now I'm having questions which I've tried to find answers to online, but haven't had much luck. Evidently, there is some confusion about just exactly what iTunes Match is and isn't - is it a streaming service or a downloading service? Before starting to find an answer to the question I have, I was surprised to find I now have even more questions. My main question concerns sharing music from my iTunes Library - I had assumed before starting the matching process (which just finished) that I could just sign into my account from my mother's computer and then download the particular songs that she wants while keeping those songs in the cloud for my future use. Now after reading several articles about iTunes Match, it appears that once you click on the cloud symbol to download a song that it is not in the cloud anymore. Is that true? I wanted a way to keep from having to copy all of my songs onto an external hard drive, and I thought that iTunes Match would work great, but now I'm not sure anymore. If a song is copied onto either a computer or an iPad from the Cloud, and it is no longer in the Cloud, how do I get it back into the Cloud for future use? If that is what happens, then how can you use the Cloud for what is stated, i.e., how can you access your songs on different devices? I have some new music that I want to keep myself and I also want to give to my mother and at this point, I'm thinking that I still need to copy it onto my external hard drive in order to keep it for myself also. Can someone explain to me just exactly how you would go about sharing your music without losing it yourself? Has anyone done this, and if so, what happened and how did you do it? I also want to make sure that when my mother adds her own music to her Library, that she won't lose what I give her. Oh, and we would both have our own iTunes Library and wouldn't be sharing the same one - can you do this?

hope I've made sense because I am confused.

Thanks.

OP
I

iPad Luv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot about one more question (among many that I now have about iTunes Match): What happened to my Audiobooks that I purchased from iTunes? I see Movies and books, but not my Audiobooks. Actually, I've never been able to find my Audiobooks on my iPad. Do I have to manually copy them over to my iPad iTunes? That makes no sense.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot about one more question (among many that I now have about iTunes Match): What happened to my Audiobooks that I purchased from iTunes? I see Movies and books, but not my Audiobooks. Actually, I've never been able to find my Audiobooks on my iPad. Do I have to manually copy them over to my iPad iTunes? That makes no sense.

Audiobooks would have to be transferred between devices via syncing with iTunes on your computer. They do not show up un the purchased list.

OP
I

iPad Luv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Audiobooks would have to be transferred between devices via syncing with iTunes on your computer. They do not show up un the purchased list.

Thanks for your reply about Audiobooks, but I still don't know how to do that - I just tried looking at my Audiobooks on my computer to see if I could figure out how exactly to sync them over to my iPad as when I do my normal "sync" between my computer and my iPad, they do NOT get copied over. I know how to manually copy things from my computer to my iPOD,, but it doesn't work the same way with my iPAD - I just tried to do it and wasn't able to do it. If you could give me instructions on what I need to do, it would be much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts