What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annoying problem with streaming from iTunes 11 on a PC running Windows 8 Pro

Doctor Hades

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my 64 GB iPad 4 about a week now and I absolutely love it. To be honest, it is my first Apple product and I don't know how I managed to survive without a tablet for as long as I have. I'm never off the thing!

The iPad is very easy to use and setup, even compared with my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone which runs Android Jellybean v4.1.2, but I have come across one particularly annoying issue with streaming music from my Windows 8 PC running the latest version of iTunes, v11.0.1. Basically, I can stream music just fine but it misses many of the artists for some reason and, worst of all, completely messes up the album art and album title, which seems to be assigned to tracks that are from different albums by different artists! This bug can be fixed by signing out then back into to Home Sharing on iTunes on my PC and on my iPad but it needs to be done every time I start a new streaming session which, as you can imagine, gets tedious very quickly.

Am I the only one with this issue and, if not, does anyone know of a proper fix for it? Or is it a known bug that Apple need to fix?

(The cynic in me thinks that this issue probably doesn't occur with iTunes on a Mac running OSX...)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Only a few artists appear on my iPad, in spite of the tags being complete on iTunes.

Everything you mention sounds familiar to me so ill go along with your suggestion that there are bugs somewhere.

It appears that you need both Artist and Album Artist fields filled out to get it right, but I've had so many issues with home sharing that I'm not too sure. The link itself seems way better under iTunes 11 than it has ever been before. Remote, for example, works perfectly and gives the full correct information on the iPad, including all of the stuff that's missing in home sharing. Only trouble from your point of view is that it's running backwards with the sound coming from the PC instead of the iPad, but at least one thing is clear. It is possible to get the tag info onto the iPad.

Now to figure out how to do it in home sharing. I suspect wiping out iTunes and starting from scratch is going to be the only way, and that's such a pain that I don't even want to consider it.

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Only a few artists appear on my iPad, in spite of the tags being complete on iTunes.

Everything you mention sounds familiar to me so ill go along with your suggestion that there are bugs somewhere.

It appears that you need both Artist and Album Artist fields filled out to get it right, but I've had so many issues with home sharing that I'm not too sure. The link itself seems way better under iTunes 11 than it has ever been before. Remote, for example, works perfectly and gives the full correct information on the iPad, including all of the stuff that's missing in home sharing. Only trouble from your point of view is that it's running backwards with the sound coming from the PC instead of the iPad, but at least one thing is clear. It is possible to get the tag info onto the iPad.

Now to figure out how to do it in home sharing. I suspect wiping out iTunes and starting from scratch is going to be the only way, and that's such a pain that I don't even want to consider it.

Are you also using a Windows computer or is yours a Mac.?

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aha! That's the problem even I face that problem but can't help for that so ignore it!

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know not everyone can do it..........
but that's one of the reasons I got the 64GB model and load all my music on my iPad so I have it with me all the time.

btw - I love WIN7x64 and very hesitant to upgrade to WIN8. Seems like a lot of stumbling around if you don't have a touch screen.
Vista? Almost as bad as Windows 98. :eek:

Last edited:

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Mac for just working with my iPad. But I installed Windows8 on one of my Windows PCs. Some of my older programs are no longer supported so I am glad I only installed Win8 on just the one computer. I skipped Vista used XP till I bought new computers and the Windows7 64 on them is a great Windows OS. But if you have Apple products and can afford buying a Mac. it's a better choice IMHO.

Jarhead57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
btw - I love WIN7x64 and very hesitant to upgrade to WIN8. Seems like a lot of stumbling around if you don't have a touch screen.
Vista? Almost as bad as Windows 98. :eek:

No stumbling around if set up right, I boot right to desktop....never see the "tiles".. All my stuff works fine and for me it runs way better than Win7 did.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No stumbling around if set up right, I boot right to desktop....never see the "tiles".. All my stuff works fine and for me it runs way better than Win7 did.

Very good to know.....
I've only messed with it in the stores and wasn't impressed. Of course the sales people are of little or no help.
I might have to spring for a copy and give it a try on a spare laptop to see if I like it.
Thanks for your comments.

Most reactions