What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to stream video usng VLC to iPad?

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I just was able to install VLC on my Ubuntu 11.10. I could play video locally using VLC but could someone please explain me in a nutshell how to stream it to my iPad?
The whole idea behind it was not to play it on my PC but stream it to iPad. Therefore I've bought VLC Streamer. It looks that I succeeded to install it on linux but just don't know how to use it :)
Thanks

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Search the app store for VLC Streamer. That should link your iPad to your computer.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Project37 said:
Search the app store for VLC Streamer. That should link your iPad to your computer.

Well. Finally I was able to stream video from PC to iPad.
But now I have another issue I.e. I have video but don't have audio.
The same movie plays fine audio locally on PC but when it's streaming it does not stream audio.
Could anyone help with that?
Thanks

maleaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is this in the iPAD discussions If you're talking about ubuntu?

Sorry

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
susja said:
Well. Finally I was able to stream video from PC to iPad.
But now I have another issue I.e. I have video but don't have audio.
The same movie plays fine audio locally on PC but when it's streaming it does not stream audio.
Could anyone help with that?
Thanks

Give this thread a read. It may help with some options in your situation.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/17556-using-ubuntu-how-enjoy-ipad.html

ifunkb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maleaco said:
Why is this in the iPAD discussions If you're talking about ubuntu?

Sorry

For MY information: He wants to stream from Ubuntu to his *IPAD.* Is there a forum specifically for that? If not, what forum SHOULD he use?
Thanks.

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ifunkb said:
For MY information: He wants to stream from Ubuntu to his *IPAD.* Is there a forum specifically for that? If not, what forum SHOULD he use?
Thanks.

Sorry guys if I put my thread in a wrong Place.
My point was that I was looking for some who uses VLC with Linux because based on experience it does not work properly on Linux with iPad
Actually I expected to get real help from VLC site but here wanted just get some input if some has one :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The thread is OK where it is. I have used VLC for years (Windows version) and would be curious to see how this would work. VLC has enough going on under the hood that it should be possible. I'll do some playing around and see if I can figure it out.

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
The thread is OK where it is. I have used VLC for years (Windows version) and would be curious to see how this would work. VLC has enough going on under the hood that it should be possible. I'll do some playing around and see if I can figure it out.

It works for me on Windows as well.
On Linux it works only while it's streaming . After that it does not work

ahkarhul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been working on something similar; here is what I can contribute

OK so this works for streaming to my iphone 3gs... same codecs should be applicable to ipad. Here is the setup on the ubuntu end:

Apache
VLC
Samba (if you need to mount windows shares to play video)

Here is the script I wrote to automatically transcode videos (should work for web streams too... untested) to iphone format h264+AAC. The script transcodes the video down where it will run across 3gs, you may want to bump the vb= parameter up a bit if you will be streaming across LAN. The script also sets up an index.html file to select the videos once you have multiple transcodings... it is pretty simplistic, but a good starting point, make sure to replace ***YOUR-WEB-SERVER*** with your web server's address. Once transcoded, Apache will serve the files up, vlc is not actively needed to stream it out, just for the transcoding.

Once the transcoding finishes, you should be able to access the video from your iphone by accessing your-web-server/streaming in safari

This of course assumes that your apache server is functioning, and using the default directories. If a firewall needs to be traversed, use apropriate http port forwarding, etc. good luck.

Attachments

• script.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts