What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Sigh' My rant.

Dan-app

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Well i must admit i am furious about all of the negativity towards the iPad. The iPad is perhaps the greatest invention ever; useful for so many things, it is by far the greatest tablet ever released, well that is my opinion, other people may disagree...

The amount of tI'mes i read ''... just an over sized iphone'' ''oh it won't replace a computer''. Seriously guys whats up with all of the negativity? the iPad isn't supposed to replace a computer, and I'm pretty sure that if the iPad was released prior to the iPhone or the iPod that people would be dictating that the iPhone was just a miniature iPad?

After reading about how much the iPad sucks, it occurred to me that the people commenting were kindle users or didn't own an iPad at all, and all of the negativity centred around the fact that the iPad doesn't 'currently' own flash support, ('currently') , well my friends , patients is a virtue , and as we speak an application is being tested to relieve us of our woes, ok perhaps HTLM5 may not be as up to scratch as Flash, however if i can view my favorite sites normally , no complaints here...

Calling the iPad an iPhone that can't call or receive calls, disgusts me, it is an absolute disgraceful statement, a 'low blow' if you will. yes the iPhone may be able to call someone, however my four year old samsung D900 serves the same purpose. For me there is nothing better than pulling out my iPad on a train or plane and surfing the Internet, whether it is talking to my friends or watching a film, the iPad is so much more effective and efficient, than the iPhone , you may argue that the iPhone has flash, however within months the iPad will have Flash support, and with new software releases every day, the sky if the lI'mit for the iPad, the iPhone and iPod , well just enjoy your retina display.

So perhaps a biased rant here, however i own an iPod touch, my uncle owns an iPhone, and have had experience using all three of these fantastic machines. My view is you can slate the iPad; saying that you can get other machines for cheaper, however you can also get cheaper phones than the iPhone, which are just as efficient if not more than. I'm not sure about you, however i personally love my iPad, name something that you need doing , such as checking the weather, or the news , or even catching up with a missed TV show, the iPad is the best of its kind and performs all of the mentioned tasks with ease and to a higher quality than any other tablet.

iPad is the future.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, I have had my Ipad for 3 months and have enjoyed every minute of it.
I was at a local BB store last night and noticed several pads on display and all were either clunky, thick, unnatural in hand and not user friendly.
I use my Ipad to review e mail, surf, watch movies or perhaps look cool. Let's face it Ipad is one of the greatest inventions. Most people on this forum however are enjoying their I pads.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ummmmmm, since when does the iPhone have Flash?

You don't have to be so hostile over the opinion of others. For some of us, the iPad just isn't up to par for what we need.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome "Dan-app" to the forum. But why is it that your first post is full of criticism . Who cares about those who don't like the iPAD, There are lots of people out there who don't like McDonald - So What. It just mean a shorter line when ordering.
Give us now some positive feedback or question that some of us will try to answer.

3rdfoundation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think people's opinions are based on what they are trying to get out of the device. I bought mine to view images and it has been a true pain in the ass. Most people do not care about image browsing or image ordering so this problem escapes their notice.

It is a very sexy device and now that I've mastered image loading and sorting I'm happy with it... but... I've gotta tell you I've taken Apple's name in vain quite a few times in the last 2 week since its purchase.

OP
D

Dan-app

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok apologies for blasting peoples opinions; I understand other people have views , and I respect their opinion that they are entitled to.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
''oh it won't replace a computer''. Seriously guys whats up with all of the negativity? the iPad isn't supposed to replace a computer

What I don't like to see is this being used as an excuse for every shortcoming that the iPad has (and it obviously has some).

Apple has already recognized some of them and responded, printing and folders for example. Interestingly, the Mac didn't have folders orignally and they had to be added in response to the outcry from users. At least one person that I know of at Apple was involved on both occasions :).

For one, I would like to see access to the file system. This has been avaiable on Windows Mobile phones for years. I have worked around the current situation using NAS and third party apps such as FileBrowser but this just shouldn't be an issue.

The iPad is great. It is a pioneering device and the first model has some shortcomings, which is to be expected. Some of them (those I have mentioned for example) are frankly inexplicable.

I, like most others will look at the competition when the time comes to replace it. It's brutal fact of commercial life that Apple will have to keep an eye on the competition to ensure the iPad's long term place in the market.

3rdfoundation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad/ipod/itouch are all about itunes. That is our hub for interacting with our media. That is what we sign up for when we buy one. Whether we realize it or not we are sacrificing flexibility for sexiness when we buy an Apple product. Flow of content is tightly controlled on these devices and the internal organization of it off limits.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the ability to access the file system. This is purposely obfuscated to ensure you must work through itunes. Considering the programming muscle behind Apple, if they wanted you to have easy access to the file system they would have done it a long long time ago.

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To those who don't like iPads: the iPad is what it is. I've had mine since May, I use it each and every day. I also take it on trips in place of the laptop I used to drag along.

If you want flash, no an iPad is not for you. I don't mind missing all the flash garbage out there. If you want open source, no unless you jailbreak it is a walled garden, though there are so many good free and low-priced apps available, I don't really notice. Once in a while there is a news video I want to see that I can't because there is no Flash, but there are so many free news apps with video support that is not much of an issue.

So if you don't want an iPad, don't buy one. If you buy one and don't like it, I'm sure someone will buy it off of you. For those of us who have and love it the fact that you don't like it takes nothing away from my enjoyment of mine.

The iPad will continue to evolve, but no one can deny that it was a good first effort and has changed the computing and mobile device landscape. Without the success of the iPad, the Galaxy Tab probably would not exist. Even if you don't like the iPad itself, its cultural and technological influence is undeniable.

In closing to everyone, please have a little respect for both sides. I'll be happy for your Galaxy Tab, etc.; and you can be happy for my iPad. Buy what you want and enjoy what you buy.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some unfortunate souls don't like the iPad! But that's democracy fo you

MachThree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Well i must admit i am furious about all of the negativity towards the iPad. The iPad is perhaps the greatest invention ever; useful for so many things, it is by far the greatest tablet ever released, well that is my opinion, other people may disagree...

The amount of tI'mes i read ''... just an over sized iphone'' ''oh it won't replace a computer''. Seriously guys whats up with all of the negativity? the iPad isn't supposed to replace a computer, and I'm pretty sure that if the iPad was released prior to the iPhone or the iPod that people would be dictating that the iPhone was just a miniature iPad?

After reading about how much the iPad sucks, it occurred to me that the people commenting were kindle users or didn't own an iPad at all, and all of the negativity centred around the fact that the iPad doesn't 'currently' own flash support, ('currently') , well my friends , patients is a virtue , and as we speak an application is being tested to relieve us of our woes, ok perhaps HTLM5 may not be as up to scratch as Flash, however if i can view my favorite sites normally , no complaints here...

Calling the iPad an iPhone that can't call or receive calls, disgusts me, it is an absolute disgraceful statement, a 'low blow' if you will. yes the iPhone may be able to call someone, however my four year old samsung D900 serves the same purpose. For me there is nothing better than pulling out my iPad on a train or plane and surfing the Internet, whether it is talking to my friends or watching a film, the iPad is so much more effective and efficient, than the iPhone , you may argue that the iPhone has flash, however within months the iPad will have Flash support, and with new software releases every day, the sky if the lI'mit for the iPad, the iPhone and iPod , well just enjoy your retina display.

So perhaps a biased rant here, however i own an iPod touch, my uncle owns an iPhone, and have had experience using all three of these fantastic machines. My view is you can slate the iPad; saying that you can get other machines for cheaper, however you can also get cheaper phones than the iPhone, which are just as efficient if not more than. I'm not sure about you, however i personally love my iPad, name something that you need doing , such as checking the weather, or the news , or even catching up with a missed TV show, the iPad is the best of its kind and performs all of the mentioned tasks with ease and to a higher quality than any other tablet.

iPad is the future.

iPad's hardware is beautiful. Apple's software policy - not so much.

I hear what you say when you say it wasn't meant to replace a computer - the thing is, the hardware can do pretty much anything a full sized PC can do - all the limitations are imposed by Apple. Its like being given the keys to a brand new Ferrari, only to find out Ferrari won't let you take the car out of first gear, and then being told "it wasn't meant to be a fast car". There's a big difference between "we designed a device with limited functionality in order to achieve some other design goal" vs. "we've designed a device and placed artificial limitations on it in order to further our company's business plan".

As for it being "just a large iPhone that can't make calls" - perhaps, but the extra size makes it soooooo much better than an iPhone - the extra screen resolution, real estate and an on-screen keyboard that you can actually type on (as opposed to the iPhone's on screen keyboard which is nearly unusable, IMHO).

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The ipad/ipod/itouch are all about itunes. That is our hub for interacting with our media. That is what we sign up for when we buy one. Whether we realize it or not we are sacrificing flexibility for sexiness when we buy an Apple product. Flow of content is tightly controlled on these devices and the internal organization of it off limits.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the ability to access the file system. This is purposely obfuscated to ensure you must work through itunes. Considering the programming muscle behind Apple, if they wanted you to have easy access to the file system they would have done it a long long time ago.

I think that Apple will eventually have to relent on the iTunes versus file system issue, otherwise they will be swamped by the competition. This is not intended as an ongoing debate, the real debate will play out over the next few years in the market place. We will make our choice when buying a replacement for our current (and very nice) iPads. If there are devices around that are just as nice as the iPad and not tied to iTunes, I am reasonably sure that I know what my choice will be.

For the record, I think that the obfuscation of the file system is a legacy iPod issue and part of DRM, forcing us to load everything via iTunes. I think that Apple needs to rethink this. At the very least iTunes needs a new name and to be made more general for moving files around but really, they need to think seriously about exposing the file system.

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The "It's just a big iPhone" argument is silly. Isn't your new plasma just a big TV? People like big viewing areas.

"It won't replace my computer/ It doesn't multitask/ no flash..." Yeah, well, I don't say that when someone tells me they just bought a new Playstation. That thing won't replace a computer either. It's a toy. It can go online and maybe do one or two other things besides play games, but just because something is a piece of computer hardware doesn't mean it's a computer. My phone doesn't replace my computer either.

"It doesn't have a camera or make phone calls" How inconvenient would this thing be as a camera or phone? Really. My phone is a phone, and it's a camera too, and it's in my pocket pretty much at all times. I also have another camera that's just a camera for using when I know I'll be taking a lot of pictures, or just want pictures nicer than my phone can provide. Not every electronic device in my house needs a built in camera. I already have too many devices that chime when I get an e-mail.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok apologies for blasting peoples opinions; I understand other people have views , and I respect their opinion that they are entitled to.

Thanks for saying so but your original post says otherwise. Each of the complaints about the iPad you mention are legitimate. That is how a free market society is formed, some people like one style, and some don't. There is no real reason to let it upset you, it will shorten yor life. ;)

By the way, the greatest invention in history is the wheel, followed by the airplane and ice cream. ;)

Viva l'difference.

Most reactions

Latest posts