What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I upgrade now?

MistaKuraudo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay I'm completely new to jailbreaking apple devices. At first I assumed that staying on a lower firmware and waiting for a jailbreak was the best option, but as I'm learning more about this stuff, I think I've come to the realization that it's not that easy.

Anyway, I bought an iPhone 4S (5.0) and an iPad2 (4.3.5) and have stuck with ios5.0 for the iPhone. No problem. But I didn't upgrade to 5.0 on my iPad since I thought sticking with a lower firmware would be better.

My question is(I've already made an assumption, just trying to get confirmation), there isn't a way to just upgrade to 5.0 on my iPad anymore, correct? And if so, that would mean upgrading to 5.0.1 asap in hopes of there being a way to jailbreak that sometime in the future, right?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to tell you to upgrade your iPad2 to iOS 5.0.1 (cause you are right, you can't go to iOS 5.0 any longer).

What I am going to tell you is that I believe you will see a jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 long before you'll see on for iOS 4.3.5. That iOS (4.3.5) is "old news" now - most jail breakers are focused on working on iOS 5.x. Again, this is what I believe...

But, that doesn't mean you have to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 "asap" either. The upgrade asap was to get onto iOS 5.0 and then wait. Since you didn't go to iOS 5.0, you can still wait to see which way to go. The time to get nervous about what to do will be when (if) Apple announces an iOS 5.0.2 or higher. Then, you'll have to monitor here, Twitter, etc., so you can decide what to do.

So, no real info here. Honestly? It's all a crap shoot and sometimes ... you get snake eyes! But, hang in there.

Marilyn

OP
MistaKuraudo

MistaKuraudo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much. Yeah, I should have read up on all of this a lot sooner. My fault for assuming I'd be able to update to any higher firmware I wanted. Lesson learned. I think I'll upgrade to 5.0.1 for now and wait it out there. But yeah, I can understand how it's all a gamble. It's a bit more complicated than I thought it would be, but I think I see things a bit more clearly. Thank you again!

namezox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with you. I might SELL my ipad 2 4.3.5 and buy a 5.0 on ebay or something

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
same peoblem here :( stuck with the decision...even i think its better to upgrade to ios 5.0.1 rather than stick ti ios 4.3.5...ohh god :(

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I were on 4.3.5 I would upgrade right now to whatever 5.x you can and stay there. At this stage it is all speculation, but the fact is that the dev team is gathering crash reports to identify vulnerabilities for the next jb.

I am 99.99% that there will not be a jb for 4.3.5 only, so no point in staying there just for the hope.

My opinion is that the next jb (if there is one) will support whatever ios is available at this point in time, at least.

Again, this is what I would do, but nobody know the whats, ifs, whens and hows

OP
MistaKuraudo

MistaKuraudo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I've already updated to 5.0.1. I've heard that the 5.0.1 update was mainly used for solving the battery problem for the 4S, so I'm assuming that they can use the same exploits as they can/did with 5.0. Here's hoping.

Meph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Just bought an Ipad 2 16gb Wifi yesterday and its on 4.3.5. Since there is no JB for my version right now and it doesn't seem like there will be, I was thinking about updating to 5.0.1. This is my first IOS device so I really know nothing about it yet, what are the benefits of IOS 5?

OP
MistaKuraudo

MistaKuraudo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Just bought an Ipad 2 16gb Wifi yesterday and its on 4.3.5. Since there is no JB for my version right now and it doesn't seem like there will be, I was thinking about updating to 5.0.1. This is my first IOS device so I really know nothing about it yet, what are the benefits of IOS 5?

I would say the best thing (for all general ios devices) you get with IOS 5 is iCloud. Pretty cool. The rest of the stuff, such as notification center and whatnot would probably be better for the iPhone rather than the iPad. Either way, I think updating is probably the best choice if you're thinking about jailbreaking your ipad in the future.

Meph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope to be able to jailbreak it in the future but from what i'm reading it seems like the general consensus is that its much more likely to be a 5.0.1 JB rather than 4.3.5. That said it looks like i'm just going to upgrade it.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last I heard the devs discovered that Apple actually patched some of the exploits they found with the betas so they basically had to start all over again. It may be a long while before a JB comes out for iOS 5.x.x. I would stay on 5.0.0 for now, when it comes out it should work for the latest firmware so it's easy to upgrade but should they only be able to make it work for 5.0.0 then you're safe.

Most reactions

Latest posts