What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i Sync ipad to iphone backup

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi I'm expecting my new iPad today. My question is should I sync it to my iPhone backup so it loads with all my iPhone stuff and then take of any stuff I don't want on it. Or from scratch and select stuff for it, by doing that it won't mess up my iPhone apps will it ? Will iTunes control two different selections of apps for the different devices. I have never had two devices on iTunes before. Any help will be appreciated

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't try to restore the iPad from the iPhone backup. I'm not even sure it will let you.

Hook up your iPad and go thorugh the registration prompts. Be sure to use the same Apple ID that you use with the iPhone, or you won't be able to use the same apps.

When it gets to the syncing part, where it starts syncing apps, music, whatever, go ahead and stop the sync. Now go thorugh all the sync settings and set things up the way you want. Pay special attention to what apps are checked in the App syncing section. Alos, keep an eye on the Capacity bar at the bottom so you don't try to put too much on the iPad.

When you have it setup the way you want, go ahead and apply the new settings and sync.

If there is a lot of stuff to put on the iPad, you might try turning off all the sections and just syncing one at a time.

One thing that is not going to happen is that your documents, game progress, and other app stuff will not get transfered. So be prepaired to start a few games over, and transfer documents to the iPad manualy.

OP
Macette

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info. Did as you said. Now I'm going to start and work out which apps work on the iPad because they were iPhone apps. If I delete some off the iPad it won't affect the iPhone apps will it? Now that they are set to download to all devices. Anyway some don't look great when you enlarge them. What fun I will have sorting. Thanks again 

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The sync settings for each device remain separate. You may find that new apps you buy tend to get synced to the other device, but apps you've already synced will remain on or off the device as set.

Almost all iPhone apps will work on the iPad in emulation mode (small or blown up).

Some like Bejewled look fine blown up, others don't. Some appsa are universal. They will work properly on both devices without any need to blow them up on the iPad. When looking at the app in the App Store, you can tell which apps these are. They will have a + sign in the price tag.

JChidester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.reunionwebcoach.com
Somewhat related, but I was hoping/expecting that my contacts and calendar from my iPhone4 would appear magically on my iPad2.

I've heard of using Google Contacts instead, but really, I like the Contacts on iPhone4.

Any work-arounds on getting the two iOS devices to share nicely?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Somewhat related, but I was hoping/expecting that my contacts and calendar from my iPhone4 would appear magically on my iPad2.

I've heard of using Google Contacts instead, but really, I like the Contacts on iPhone4.

Any work-arounds on getting the two iOS devices to share nicely?

I also recommend the Google account. If you set up the account on the iPhone as and Exchange account it will sync with the Contacts and Calendar apps on both the iPhone and iPad. This is the best to both worlds. You get to use the apps you want, and keep your devices synced wirelessly.

How to setup the iPhone and iPad:

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

You can use iTunes on the computer, but it's an inferior solution. It's got a history of problems, and only synces your information when you sync with iTunes. I'll describe it if you insist, but give Google a try. I think you'll like the results.

marmagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just connected my new ipad air to my itunes on the pc, i also have an iphone 5 sync with same itunes and same apple id
is there way to syc my email accounts on the new ipad air with the accounts on the iphone 5? or i need to create again the email account in the ipad air?
notes, images and contacts were sync automatically

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, I don't recommend using iTunes to sync you iPad, computer, and iPhone. If you've turned on contacts, calendars, etc syncing in iTunes go ahead and turn it off. If you follow my following advice, be certain you turn them off, as having both local and internet syncing turned on at the same time will cause problems.

Instead, choose your service (be it iCloud, Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, or other) then sync each device and computer to that service. I works much better than using iTunes to sync.

You'll use the same Apple ID and other accounts on both/all devices.

As far as syncing your other stuff, like music and apps, you can use iTunes. It will remember what the settings are for each device. There may be occasional glitches where new songs or apps will sync unwanted, but removing them directly, from the device they are not wanted on will correct the issue.

If you choose to keep syncing your contacts and calendars through iTunes, and there are arguments for this; you need to keep in mind the limitations.

Syncing is not immediate. Devices and the computer may not be completely up to date with changes made on other devices and/or the computer. Each address change is incomplete until every device and computer has been synce after the most recent changes/additions/deletions.

If changes happen to the same contact or event in more than one place you will end up with conflicts that must be resolved.

Occasional duplicates are to be expected. The nature of having information on more than one device and large time gaps between syncing means that sometimes things get confused. In these cases it almost always means the system decides to keep both versions of a contact or event.

Most reactions