What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting-up iPad on a public WiFi

ConfusedPanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been gifted an iPad which I will use on a cellular connection. I don't have the data via my pay as you go) plan to set it up, if I set it up on a public wifi connection would that be dangerous from a privacy/security basis?

Thanks for reading!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be as you’ll be entering your Apple ID and password, your iCloud ID and password and any other passwords you use. Also, depending on the speed of the WiFi connection it could take up to several hours to download everything.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been gifted an iPad which I will use on a cellular connection. I don't have the data via my pay as you go) plan to set it up, if I set it up on a public wifi connection would that be dangerous from a privacy/security basis?

Thanks for reading!
It would be far safer if you could set the iPad up at a friend’s house using their WiFi if that’s possible.

OP
C

ConfusedPanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks folks, that's a blow as I am isolated at the moment I don't know anyone locally with WiFi.

I will be setting up a new Apple ID as I set-up the iPad so there is no risk of anyone seeing anything...If I changed my passwords after setting-up would that be enough?

Sorry if this question sounds absolutely staggeringly dim!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks folks, that's a blow as I am isolated at the moment I don't know anyone locally with WiFi.

I will be setting up a new Apple ID as I set-up the iPad so there is no risk of anyone seeing anything...If I changed my passwords after setting-up would that be enough?

Sorry if this question sounds absolutely staggeringly dim!
It’s not a dim question. It would help with security.

OP
C

ConfusedPanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, so if I did that I should be okay? I know Apple products aren't as susceptible to malware as Windows and Android but I was wondering if that could be a problem with the public network?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, so if I did that I should be okay? I know Apple products aren't as susceptible to malware as Windows and Android but I was wondering if that could be a problem with the public network?
Public WiFi can be risky whatever your device. You could be using unsecured networks, tricked into a man-in-the-middle attack or end up downloading malware and more. That is why people use VPNs when they use such networks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Public WiFi can be risky whatever your device. You could be using unsecured networks, tricked into a man-in-the-middle attack or end up downloading malware and more. That is why people use VPNs when they use such networks.

There’s also the person who watches over your shoulder and gets your passwords that way.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could always go into your cellular provider, and let them know you need to set up your iPad before getting connected. They should be able to help you. If nothing else, let you use their local wi-fi, which should be at least a little more secure than the local McDonalds, coffee shop, or hotel lobby.

They would probably help you set up your cell service for the iPad at the same time. People are often more helpful when you're spending money.

Most reactions

Latest posts