What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Online Publicly? Security: WiFi or Cellular?

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are in a public place, e.g. Coffee Shop, Hotel, etc., that offers free WiFi, and you have the *choice* of going online (using a VPN), will there be any difference, security-wise, between using their WiFi or going online using Cellular?

My gut instinct tells me that Cellular is more secure, but all I have is gut instinct... Maybe there’s no difference between the two. Once upon a time, phone calls were ‘eavesdropped,’ so... I guess my question should be, “Which choice (if any) provides a *higher* level of security?” There are no absolutes.

Would anyone care to comment on this? Tech details interest me... Thanks!

:)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The hardware and expertise it takes to spoof or snoop a cellular network is far beyond what is needed to do the same with wi-fi. Not impossible, but much more difficult.

That said, a VPN makes this mostly irrelevant. Yes, a cellular connection plus VPN is a bit more secure than wi-fi and a VPN, but not amazingly so.

Think of it this way. If you’re house was a wi-fi network, it would have some fairly standard locks on the doors and windows. If it was a cellular connection the doors have stronger locks, the windows have bars, and there is an alarm system. A tougher nut, but an expert can still rob your. VPN is like putting everything valuable in your house into a professional time locked vault. At that point, whether the thief can enter the house or not is mostly a matter of esthetics. Your valuables are secure from all but super thieves and the makers/owners of the vault.

Oh, yes, that means you need to trust your VPN provider.

Most reactions