What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Send emails

Karen merran

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recevie e mails on i pad,however,it is impossible to send. What should i do?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should start by giving us more information so we can help...like what errors you're getting, what ISP you are trying to use, etc.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha, I like your percentage there. Is that scientifically calculated? ;)

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
Haha, I like your percentage there. Is that scientifically calculated? ;)

LOL, Totally! To explain the method and calculation formula in its entirety complete with accepted variables, best practices, and assumptions would take days!

:D

Regards,

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I continue to be confounded by e-mailing from my iPad 16 GB. Sometimes the list of incoming and sent mails disappears or will start only showing part of what is on the server. I have not been able to SEND an e-mail from my iPad for about two weeks and had not changed any settings. I get NO error messages. It just never sends the e-mail or reply, and my message then seems to be gone for good, as there is no Drafts folder as I have on Outlook on my PC. I use Comcast. Should I just start over from scratch? I am able to receive e-mail okay. Thanks!

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OBTW, I have an iPod Touch, and I am able to send and receive e-mail just fine with it, and without the quirky behavior with messages just suddenly disappearing from the inbox and/or sent box. I use the same Comcast account with the iPod.

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Send emails redux

OBTW, I have an iPod Touch, and I am able to send and receive e-mail just fine with it, and without the quirky behavior with messages just suddenly disappearing from the inbox and/or sent box. I use the same Comcast account with the iPod.

UPDATE: I blew away my Comcast account and started over, and things seem to be working okay here at home, but after I created the "new" account it brought in a bunch of old messages that (I believe) already had been deleted from the Comcast mail server. Deleting these individually was a pain, in part because after you delete a group of messages, the first item in the queue that remains is not at the top of the screen.

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On almost all devices (98.64%) where folks are having problems sending emails but no problem receiving emails, 98.64% of these issues are due to a lack of understanding of SMTP authentication. Nearly all (98.64%) of ISP's and carriers and institutions have now shutdown "open relaying" of SMTP (the protocol used for sending emails), to help control SPAM. This means you cannot simply connect to an SMTP server using any connection you have (Wifi, 3G, LAN, modem, etc) and expect to be able to send emails, even though you usually *can* receive emails this way.

The reason is simple: most methods for reading emails require that you enter a password. However SMTP, the standard for sending emails, when originally developed, did not require any form of password (i.e. authentication of who you are).

So, nearly all SMTP servers (98.64%) now require that you "come in on" an Internet connection that belongs to the same ISP/carrier/etc that runs that SMTP server. Basically, they are using your IP address as a simple means to decide that you should be allowed to send emails via their SMTP server. There are other forms of SMTP authentication, but none that are universally accepted. This means, in general, if you are sending emails via RoadRunner's SMTP server, you MUST be connected to it through RoadRunner's (e.g. TW) Internet service. If you want to send emails via AT&T's SMTP server, you must be talking to it using AT&T's Internet service (3G, DSL, etc). This is the root of 98.64% of problems sending emails even though you can get them. So if you are using 3G on your ipad and can't send emails using your home or work email account, this is probably why...

It is only a problem when you use a builtin email client (like the ipad email app) and is not a problem when using a web-based email service with a browser (e.g. Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc). It is getting worse because many carriers now assume that customers will be using web-based email service (e.g. Hotmail, Gmail), and they don't want to pay to maintain their own SMTP servers. Unfortunately that means that customers of that carrier will have a lot of problems trying to send emails using builtin email apps, since there would be no "correct" SMTP service to use.

Last edited:

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the elucidation. It's a great thing that people need not possess extensive knowledge of the various systems that make their vehicles operate properly, or only mechanics and engineers would ever drive. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm far less puzzled, however, when I get an error message after something doesn't work as I believe it should on my PC or iPad or iPod. In this particular case (ie, of the unsent e-mails), it had been working just fine via either of two public WLANs available at our boat, then just stopped working. The inbox anomalies continue.

I was, however, still able to send e-mails using the nearly identical-looking e-mail client on my iPod Touch, which was set up the same way, with password authentication on the SMTP server (and the proper port). Just where SSL comes into play in setting up an e-mail account is still murky to me. (I have it off.)

I'd be happy to use the Comcast SmartZone Web-based e-mail system, if only it would perform reliably and not be more inconvenient to access.

Radville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My primary email address is not gmail but Tiscali. I have 1PC, an iPhone,a Palm Pre and now hopefully an iPad to gain access to this address
When logging into my email on the PC,most times, I have to input my email address and password to make it work.
The message on the iPad, I receive is,the connection to the server "pop tiscali.co.uk" failed.Please can you help.

Joa66Dea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are other forms of SMTP authentication, but none that are universally accepted. This means, in general, if you are sending emails via RoadRunner's SMTP server, you MUST be connected to it through RoadRunner's (e.g. TW) Internet service.

It is only a problem when you use a builtin email client (like the ipad email app) and is not a problem when using a web-based email service with a browser (e.g. Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc). It is getting worse because many carriers now assume that customers will be using web-based email service (e.g. Hotmail, Gmail), and they don't want to pay to maintain their own SMTP servers. Unfortunately that means that customers of that carrier will have a lot of problems trying to send emails using builtin email apps, since there would be no "correct" SMTP service to use.

Not really true about Roadrunner. My wife's IPad which is connected to the network in our house cannot send emails through roadrunner even though she is connected to roadrunner directly through the ISP. She can send emails using MS Outlook from the laptop that connects on the same network but not from the IPad. There is more to it than you think. Roadrunner has pointed the finger at Apple and said there is something wrong in their software. Apple just goes ???????

It would be nice if people stopped ducking the question and worked on a solution. At this point I suspect Roadrunner's level 2 help desk is more correct than Apple's on this one.

Bill

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Are you configuring them correctly?

example: if my email is [email protected] the pop and smtp servers must be set accordingly.

pop: pop-server.florida.rr.com
smtp: smtp-server.florida.rr.com

replace the florida part with what ever yours should be.

Most reactions